cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't log in "Previous sign-in interrupted" error

Can't log in "Previous sign-in interrupted" error

CaptainPablo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As it says above ... Can't log in "Previous sign-in interrupted" error.

Any help appreciated.

It's a business account if that makes any difference.

97 Replies 97

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Nate4, thanks for sharing what worked for you with the rest of the people in the Community! 

If you need anything else, let us know! ðŸ™‚

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

prestonp
New member | Level 2

Disabling browser extensions is what fixed it for me. I had Dropbox Passwords and another Google extension in Chrome and I had to disable both. 

Drumboxing
Helpful | Level 5

I have tried everything and I get this error over and over again. I just renewed my dropbox annual membership a month ago. If this does not get fixed in the next few days I will be asking for a refund and moving to another service. Using the web page is very cumbersome. I am in windows 11, it used to worked but had to log out and log in and now it won't work. I have tried everything everyone recommended here with no luck. This is ridiculous, the app should be updated to allow for username and password instead of the web browser log in.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Drumboxing - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Since you've already done some troubleshooting without any luck, I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team for further assistance as they'll be able to help you with account specific information.

Once you do that and get a ticket ID from our system, you can share it with us here so that we can look it up as well, if needed. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

SMB Techie
Helpful | Level 5

I already escalated to Tier 2 support 18 hours ago (#23067267), no response from them yet. As a business user, I don't have time to hang out by the phone or email to hear back from them -- I've got to go do my business! I'm afraid it may take days of telephone tag to get someone.

I have the same problem as others in this forum and believe I have tried everything that has been described, maybe plus some.

THE PROBLEM: I am trying to install the Dropbox desktop app on a brand new Windows 11 Pro computer.  Like, straight out of the box new, and only a few apps were installed before Dropbox -- and not an antivirus program.  I keep getting stuck in a "loop" of the .EXE installer asking me to sign in via the browser; the browser is successful, saying it's signed in; but when it passes the process back to the .EXE, the local installer program doesn't continue the installation and generates the "Previous Sign In Interrupted" error message. I am business account with five users, and this would be install #2 for the staff member who will get this new PC, so I have not exceeded any quotas for installations.

INTERVENTIONS

I have tried:

- turning off beta versions

- installation attempts with Edge and then Chrome set as the default browser, same problem

- clearing the cache of the browsers and removing all extensions (but this is a new PC, all that was in the history was from the day it was booted)

- turning off Windows Defender Firewall (and no, there is no other A/V program)

- more than one Wifi - to remove concerns about a block in a specifical firewall

- full uninstall and reinstall of Dropbox; multiple reboots

- I've tried Offline Installer (Ver 188.4.6302). But this CAN'T be a true "offline" installer, because when I run it with Internet turned off, it complains, "your computer is offline" and cancels the installation!!!!

The problem is clearly in how the .EXE receives confirmation that the login has succeeded via the browser. 

Is there a registry key that needs to be manually edited? 

Is there another version of the offline installer that actually runs offline?

Thank you.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SMB Techie, thanks for posting here today!

I was able to check the ticket number reference that you provided us with, and it seems the agent just replied back to you. 

Did you have a moment to review his response, and follow his steps? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SMB Techie
Helpful | Level 5

RESOLVED, but not by dint of any of the suggestions from tier 2 support, none of which worked.

Either as default setting, or a security setting the initial DropBox consultant had me set on my business account when we migrated to DropBox, my staff were restricted to one device connected to Dropbox. Since my secretary was still using her current computer with Dropbox access while I was configuring the new replacement, the replacement PC was a second computer - hence, Dropbox created a login loop and rejected the new PC as exceeding the limit.  The problem had nothing to do with browsers, caches, firewalls, proxies, VPNs, or Wi-fi connections, as per Support's suggestion.  In retrospect, I respectfully suggest they should have known to tell me about that simple possible reason for a rejected login: too many devices. 

SOLUTION: As the Dropbox administrator, I went to Settings and Security. I changed the employee's user account to allow 2 devices to be linked.  That fixed it! Simple as that. Now, both are linked and updating. When I replace her old computer with the new, I can choose whether to leave both devices linked or delete one and restrict her to one device again. 

For non-business users, with free accounts, this is the equivalent situation of trying to add a fourth device linked to Dropbox. You'll need to delete one device to add your new one to stay within the limit of three devices. 

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Hi everybody, 

Appreciate your comments here. We’d like to share some key takeaways from this discussion.

If you’re getting the ‘’ “Previous sign-in interrupted" error’’ please check if you hit the device limits of your account:

• Dropbox Basic users can be logged into up to three devices at a time.
    • Dropbox Plus, Family, Professional, and Essentials customers can log into as many devices as they need.
    • Dropbox team users can log into as many devices as they need, but admins on Advanced, Business Plus, and Enterprise teams can limit the number of devices their teams can link.

Actions to take:
  • Unlink some, or all your devices. Instructions in here. 
  • Request your company Team Admin to manage your devices via the admin console: 
Tip 🎯they can use the Exception list to allow only you to have more than one connected computer.

Video Tutorial here.
Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 12.20.46.png

This is the most recent info we've got for now. To keep things clear on the topic, we will be closing off this thread. If you’re still having issues, please start a new discussion and we’ll look into it!

Thanks,
Sam

Need more support?