cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An unknown user has shared a Paper doc with me. What should I do?

An unknown user has shared a Paper doc with me. What should I do?

leftmindmedia
New member | Level 2

I am getting a file sent to me by someone I don't think I know (but they are in my business' niche, so I want to check it out).

Here is the message:

Hi there,

In case you missed it, [removed] shared "[removed]Proposal_Projects.paper" with you on Dropbox.

Thanks!
- The Dropbox Team

Whenever I click on the link, I get a page that says:

That didn't work for some reason

If it's a fluke, it might work if you refresh the page. You can also ask us for help.

Any thoughts?

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]
1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@leftmindmedia wrote:

I am getting a file sent to me by someone I don't think I know (but they are in my business' niche, so I want to check it out).

If you don't know them, don't open it. If it's important or legitimate, they'll contact you. NEVER open unsolicited files that you receive with no previous communication. This is one of the many ways that phishing attacks start.

If you think you know them and want to be certain, contact them through other means (not the email that the file was shared from) and verify they meant to contact you in this manner.

That didn't work for some reason

The link was likely removed or the file deleted. Assuming it's legit, you'd need to contact the sender for a new link.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?