cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Update billing info email, but I have a Dropbox Basic account.

Update billing info email, but I have a Dropbox Basic account.

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am confused by the message I received from Dropbox asking for me to update my billing info. Here's the message:

"Your credit card is expiring at the end of the month!

To keep your Dropbox account current, click the button below to access your account and update your credit card expiration date and billing address. This way, when it comes time for your subscription to renew on 2020-03-06, all your information will already be up to date."

There are at least five problems with this.

1. I have only Dropbox Basic (free), which means there is no need to charge a credit card.

2. The renewal date listed in this message (2020-03-06) is over 3 years ago!

3. While I do have a credit card listed with Dropbox, it isn't correct, but there is no way for me to change it!

4. The implication is that I won't be able to keep the account unless I change my credit card.

5. I've tried every obvious way to contact someone at Dropbox to explain what is going on, but it appears there are no options that are open to me as a Basic user.

Any ideas on what is going on and what, if anything, I need to do?

24 Replies 24

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Nancy, that would be great if you could remove the credit card information. Thank you!

jade1230
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you! I'd like to remove my credit card information as well.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just sent you the emails! I'll see you both there, thanks! 😎

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lettice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Boy, Dropbox does not make anything easy. I received this message: 

Take a moment to verify your payment details You should if you want to renew your Dropbox subscription. ​​Your current subscription will be downgraded to Dropbox Basic, with a limited space of 2 GB, if we don't receive your payment soon.

Update your billing info now to continue with your current plan.

When I log into my acct there is absolutely no billing option. It says I have a basic plan, so how can I be downgraded to basic. Does this mean I'm not paying anything, it's a free plan? So why why does it say I'll be downgraded to basic if I don't update my billing info.

Seems like a marketing ploy to get people to upgrade to paid plans.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Lettice, did you have a paid account at some point? If you're not seeing any payments on this page, is it possible that you have another email address on which there could be a Dropbox account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

lcola
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

I'm having a similar problem to @mkalichman and @jade1230 in that I've cancelled my free trial before the end date so I now have a basic account, but I cannot remove my card details from my account. I want to ensure that I will not be charged at the end of the trial as I have already cancelled, please could you also help me remove any card details from my account?

Additionally, I never received the supposed email from no-reply@dropbox.com to confirm my trial has been successfully cancelled, despite my account being downgraded. 

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @lcola, thanks for the nudge on this.

If your account already got downgraded after the end of the trial, then your billing info has already been automatically removed from the account.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lcola
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your reply. Eventhough my account has been downgraded, when I go to 'Manage my account', I can still see my card details under 'Billing'. As I have cancelled before the end of my trial, I don't understand why Dropbox still has my card details and there is no option to remove it. I also didn't receive an email confirmation to tell me my cancellation was successful, eventhough this is mentioned in the Help Centre. https://help.dropbox.com/plans/cancel-free-trial 

Please could you help erase these billing details as I don't want to risk getting any charges in the future. I'd be extremely grateful for any help you can provide. Thank you. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update here, @lcola.

If your account is downgraded, your billing info shouldn't be stored anymore.

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of the page you see them in? Of course, please make sure to mask/edit out your actual billing info.

Also, a screenshot of what you see in your plan page would also be helpful.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

lcola
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for your reply. I've attached a screenshot below of my plan and an image of where I can see my billing details which should be removed. Thanks for your help. 

lcola_1-1696406960801.png

lcola_3-1696407000515.png

Need more support?