cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update billing info email, but I have a Dropbox Basic account.

Update billing info email, but I have a Dropbox Basic account.

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am confused by the message I received from Dropbox asking for me to update my billing info. Here's the message:

"Your credit card is expiring at the end of the month!

To keep your Dropbox account current, click the button below to access your account and update your credit card expiration date and billing address. This way, when it comes time for your subscription to renew on 2020-03-06, all your information will already be up to date."

There are at least five problems with this.

1. I have only Dropbox Basic (free), which means there is no need to charge a credit card.

2. The renewal date listed in this message (2020-03-06) is over 3 years ago!

3. While I do have a credit card listed with Dropbox, it isn't correct, but there is no way for me to change it!

4. The implication is that I won't be able to keep the account unless I change my credit card.

5. I've tried every obvious way to contact someone at Dropbox to explain what is going on, but it appears there are no options that are open to me as a Basic user.

Any ideas on what is going on and what, if anything, I need to do?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mkalichman, as you're on a Dropbox Basic plan, and you're not on any trial or paid plan, then you can ignore the email, since it won't try to charge you.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mkalichman, welcome to our Community!

Are you certain the email is a new one, and not old? Is it possible that you have a different Dropbox account? 

You mentioned that you have a credit card listed with Dropbox: is that on a different account? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Megan for checking.

The message was sent to my correct e-mail address, which is associated with my only dropbox account. The date of the message was today, sent this morning Pacific time.

The credit card I mentioned is associated with this account. I don't remember whether it was required or optional, but I apparently added it to my account some years ago. That particular card is no longer valid, even if it were to be charged, which it shouldn't be!

Mike

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @mkalichman, as you're on a Dropbox Basic plan, and you're not on any trial or paid plan, then you can ignore the email, since it won't try to charge you.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Jay. That's good to know, but it still leaves the question of why the message went out as written in the first place. Perhaps you could pass the word up the line to have someone see if they can tighten things up on communications? As it is, this makes me wonder about attention to detail at Dropbox! 

Mike

jade1230
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I received the same email this morning, with the same out-of-date information. Mine said "This way, when it comes time for your subscription to renew on 2021-02-20, all your information will already be up to date."

I'm confused because I also have a basic account. I would like to remove my credit card information from my account since I don't plan on subscribing to Dropbox Plus, but there's no button to edit/remove my card in my Billing settings. Please advise!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jade1230 - thanks for flagging this with us. 

Also, thank you for your feedback on this @mkalichman - it's been noted in our system.

When it comes to the notification at hand now, note that it's possible that a mistake happened in the system and this was sent by accident. 

Is it possible that you had started a trial around the mentioned times by any chance? 

If you're on the Basic plan now, your billing info should no longer be saved on your accounts. Could you clarify where you're seeing your billing information being stored? Is it in the email notification or your account's settings online? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

jade1230
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's possible I had a free trial years ago and that's likely where my card information came from. 

My credit card is listed under Account>Manage Account>Billing. However under "Payment Method" there's no place to edit or remove the card.

The email said that my credit card was expiring at the end of the month and prompted me to update my billing info.

-Jade

mkalichman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Jade's situation is exactly the same as mine. I suppose it doesn't matter that my credit card is still saved since that card is expired, but it seems there should be a simple way to remove it?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all!

We've reported these mismatching emails to our Payments team, and they reviewed our processes to make sure it reaches only the correct users. So, if you ever receive a similar email (which you shouldn't), please let us know. 

@mkalichman and @jade1230, we'd be happy to open a support ticket to help remove your credit cards if that's OK. 

Thanks for the reports.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Bud1946 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    lcola Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?