cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about backing up files and recovering them

Questions about backing up files and recovering them

JT20
Explorer | Level 3

I have 2 computers. Have been freeing up memory on the HP Touchscreen by backing up files to an aging Asus Laptop. Two questions: 1) May I backup both computers to Dropbox? and 2) After backup, I'd like to delete some files from my computer. Could I then go to Dropbox any time in the future and restore those files?  For example, Carbonite would only keep files I've deleted from my computer backed up for a maximum of 30 days. Thanks!

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @JT20, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

You can use the Dropbox Backup feature to backup multiple computers to your account. Note that only specific folders are backed up to Dropbox.

Depending on your plan, you can recover files from 30, 180, or 365 days ago.

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JT20
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Jay. Most of the files I want to backup to dropbox and then restore to my computer are Corel Painter .rif files as they tend to be very large, also Photoshop Elements .psd files.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Just to clarify, do you need to backup the files (or computers), which means they're stored on the site and can't be edited by the other machine, or do you want files to sync from one computer to another? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JT20
Explorer | Level 3

Am looking for only digital storage on a virtual shelf (Dropbox) where I can download or upload various artworks in progress and then keep/store the finished artworks on Dropbox. For finished works, I would upload and store on Dropbox indefinitely while deleting the finished artwork files from my computer to free up space for new works. I'll only be using one computer and as far as I know, no team or clients will need a preview, no collaboration or people needing to download/share from my Dropbox storage shelf account. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

With both Dropbox Backup and the normal syncing process, files on the site would also take up space on your computer, and deleting from your computer would delete from the site. 

You can use selective sync to prevent entire folders from syncing to your machine, or you can mark files as online-only instead to free up space on the computer.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JT20
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks, Jay. You've given me a lot to think about. Time to start dinner here on the east coast, so I'm wandering into the kitchen. Thanks again and have a good evening.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JT20 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?