cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: My subscription got cancelled when accepting an invitation to join a team

My subscription got cancelled when accepting an invitation to join a team

MC3B
New member | Level 2

I have a personal plan, and accepted an invitation to collaborate as a Team on dropbox from a client. 
Automatically when accepted, all my dropbox folders are part of this client's plan, and my subscription has been cancelled and refunded. 
The dropbox on my computer has now my client's name.

This is not what I intended, I genuinely assumed the invitation was to a shared extra folder. 

I have written to dropbox, but see no live chat or number is available. How does this can be fixed and reversed to what it was, as soon as possible? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MC3B! Your team admin will need to follow exactly the steps Rich linked above, so that your Dropbox account may be converted again to an individual one, along with your previous personal files. If you wish, you can go ahead and re-upgrade your account to a Plus plan then.

If they choose to delete it instead, upon removing you from a team member, then you won’t be able to access your Dropbox account after that.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II

@MC3B wrote:

Automatically when accepted, all my dropbox folders are part of this client's plan, and my subscription has been cancelled and refunded. ... I have written to dropbox ...

When you accepted the invitation you merged your account into their team account, effectively making them the owner of your account. In order to leave the team, the team admin needs to convert your account back to an individual account. It's important that they don't just remove you from the team as doing so would delete your account. If that were to happen, the team admin only has seven days to restore your account.

Dropbox is not able to do this for you. Only the team admin can do it. Once your account is converted back to an individual account it will be on the Basic plan. You'll need to resubscribe to the plan that you were on previously.

MC3B
New member | Level 2

Thank you so much Rich, this is super useful. 

My questions now is that before being moved to this team, I had a Plus plan and under this plan, used 800GB of files, much more than the 2GB allowed by the Basic plan. Those files have been moved in the process in the team, and now safely exist under this new owner. NB on a side note, this is scary that Dropbox didn't warn more clearly that the access to all my files would then be locked in the team, with no option to revert, change, leave or convert from my side. 

How does my client, the now owner by mistake of my dropbox, make sure that all these files are not deleted in the process, but converted into an account that have enough space and not just a Basic account. 

If not possible, how do we get around it? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MC3B! Your team admin will need to follow exactly the steps Rich linked above, so that your Dropbox account may be converted again to an individual one, along with your previous personal files. If you wish, you can go ahead and re-upgrade your account to a Plus plan then.

If they choose to delete it instead, upon removing you from a team member, then you won’t be able to access your Dropbox account after that.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Mark
Super User II

There are lots of prompts and warnings when moving over to a team - so much so it almost tries to force you to do a new account @MC3B 

In terms to the account though - basically when you are removed from the Team your account will immediately go over quota and stop syncing. Then as soon as you upgrade it will work again 🙂

Only thing to really reiterate here is make SURE they remove you and do not delete you from the Team - as that is quite a common mistake. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MC3B
New member | Level 2

Thank you Nancy, so am I right to understand that the admin will then only be able to convert my account (linked to my email) to a Basic plan, which hold a max of 2GB. 

Of course, I have 800GB of giga, 798GB more than what the Basic account allows. But reading from the article below, that would mean that the entirety of the 800gb will be transfered as a Basic plan, going over the quota and whilst I won't be able to sync, no data will be lost. 

https://help.dropbox.com/plans/downgrade-dropbox-individual-plans

My next step will then be to upgrade to the Basic plan again. 

Is that correct? 
Finally I hope that I will be still paying what I was currently paying, and not the new rate. 

MC3B
New member | Level 2

Thank you Mark

No there is sadly not a lot, in fact there is 1 prompt and this was unclear, especially given the environment in dropbox, of multi options of files, folders and account sharings. There was 1 window, which is rather usual in any type of click-action to any invitation, with two options that were unspecific and untechnical, or at worse confusing. It basically said: join and merge as a team or keep it separate individual ('what' is merged, 'what' is kept is unclear, 'how' and what limit is there for it to be undone too). It was not clear, that this meant that I cannot then undo, that only the admin would be able to, or that it would change the name of the dropbox onto my computer etc. 
I now of course understand that it meant reading between the lines, but not being a know-it-all in dropbox, it was sadly not specific enough. 

I would and I am usually very savvy and careful when opting on these things, simply didn't see this coming, and think the Dropbox team could update this prompt to make it very clear and alarming. 

Thankfully and from your + Nancy replies and the article here below it seem that switching to Free account and then upgrading to Basic is possible, and that way I will avoid hourse of copying and pasting carefully a vaste amount of precious gigabytes. 

https://help.dropbox.com/plans/downgrade-dropbox-individual-plans

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @MC3B, just so you're aware, the 'free' plan and Basic plan are the same, offering 2 GB of quota. How much quota do you think the Basic plan contains?

Additionally, your account may be subject to these terms when you downgrade to the Basic plan regarding the files on your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MC3B
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay

I meant I was on Plus, I did not intend to join this team in this way, I genuinely read the steps as one of the usual folder sharing procedure. When on Plus, I had and still have with the Team, 800GB. 

As I understand your link, my client will downgrade me, but they won't have the option to give me a Plus plan, so I'll fall under a Basic plan. What I will then do is to instantly upgrade it to a Basic plan, in order to retain and not loose the 800GB.

From what I read here it sounds possible? 
'

When you change to a Basic account, you won’t lose access to any of your files and folders stored in Dropbox. However, you’ll be limited to 2 GB of storage space. If you exceed the storage quota of your Basic account, Dropbox will stop syncing files to your devices.' 

http://help.dropbox.com/plans/downgrade-dropbox-individual-plans

I think that's the best course of action is that correct?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Currently, when the team admin converts your account to a Basic plan, you won't lose access to your files, though, as mentioned previously, there could be a possibility of data deletion if left in that state for too long. 

When you upgrade to Plus, you'll be able to sync files again.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?