cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to TEAMS account

Migrate to TEAMS account

Rick C.21
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, have two separate accounts:
Account 1 - Dropbox One - 3TB - $299 / year
Account 2 - Dropbox Plus - 2TB - $119 / year
Total $420 / year
5 TB Team account - 

Is it possible to convert to a TEAM account, keep separate folders and subfolders between two primary users, and maintain currently shared folders with from both with external users?

I've read some horror stories about people joining a team, all their files are added to the TEAM folder and shared, then seemingly impossible to revert back to the separate accounts.

As long as we can maintain separate shared folders with external clients , and separate folders for each and a shared team folder it would work for us.

Can you advise if this is possible / feasible ?  The savings would be about $60 per year for 5TB Teams vs 2TB And 3 TB Separate accounts.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick C.21
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

The 5 user Teams subscription is not affordable for us as we only need two users.
I guess there is nothing left to do but consider Sharepoint / OneDrive so we can scale up and share affordably.

It's only $10 per extra TB, and some of the subscriptions have unlimited storage.
Thank you for the reply.

Rick Cassel

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rick C.21, thanks for posting to our Community.

When someone upgrades to a Dropbox Business plan, their folder structure changes; all the folders and files they have in their account are moved into a folder with their name on it.

This is the team member folder and everything outside of this folder, is called the team space.

The team space, is the shared space between team members and that's where you can add the files you need to share between you.

But the already shared folders and non-shared folders will remain as they are, they're just included in the team member folder.

That being said, when a person gets invited to join the team, they're asked if they want to keep their personal files separate or they want to add them to the team account, so they'll have the option to move their personal files to a new account, if they don't want them associated with the team.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any more questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rick C.21
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello, I only need two members.  The minimum is three users.  Its not worth it to increase my bill from $360 a year to $540 a year.  Its already too much and considering alternatives.  Can I add a gig or two of extra space to my DropBox One account?  Does it allow multiple users, to sign in with different email address and selective sharing.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rick C.21, currently, it isn't possible to increase the quota on a Dropbox One account. 

It is a personal account, so sharing the account credentials with another user would be a breach of the terms of service, and could result in account termination.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Rick C.21
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello,

The 5 user Teams subscription is not affordable for us as we only need two users.
I guess there is nothing left to do but consider Sharepoint / OneDrive so we can scale up and share affordably.

It's only $10 per extra TB, and some of the subscriptions have unlimited storage.
Thank you for the reply.

Rick Cassel

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you aware that the minimum number of licenses that are needed for a Dropbox Business team to be purchased is 3 licenses, not 5?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rick C.21 Helpful | Level 5
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?