cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unable to link a new device, as it counts as duplicate and exceeds the 3-device limit.

I'm unable to link a new device, as it counts as duplicate and exceeds the 3-device limit.

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi All, 

I have been a Basic Plan user for years. Have 3 legit decices. Just deleted 1 and added a new one. Dropbox is counting the new one twice now, so I cant have 3 devices. 
Their ChatBot has no answer or help.

Can you ?

Thanks.

Bales

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unfortunately the only way to get devices back on is to unlink so you are below the three. 

If you unlink the wrong one you can re-add it back on 🙂

So if you do happen to unlink the wrong one its fine, it will stop it working temporarily but you can just relink. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting on the Community today, @Bales!

Have you tried removing the "duplicate" device via your Security tab?

If yes, does this resolve the issue or do you encounter any errors? 

If the latter, feel free to send me a screenshot of what you see under the "Devices" section of your Security page.

Let me know how it goes.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for fast reply, Nancy. I think I tried that with no progress, but will check and revert to you shortly.

B

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Bales_0-1723231864794.jpg

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is the screenshot. I want the 3 but not the Windows device ( without knowing what they mean by that - can't identify it - then remove the duplicate below. But I have tried this once.

The anon device may be an old tablet or phone but I need its name to know whether its one of the required 3 or not.

Thanks again.

B

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unfortunately the only way to get devices back on is to unlink so you are below the three. 

If you unlink the wrong one you can re-add it back on 🙂

So if you do happen to unlink the wrong one its fine, it will stop it working temporarily but you can just relink. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Many thanks, Mark. If that works I'll be OK.
I'll try it tomorrow. The added problem is that this is a very slow process and I might have resolved it a day earlier if Dropboxe's instructions had been as clear as yours 😉
I'll let you know.
Bales

Bales
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Mark. Apology formy delayed reply, but, Yes thanks, the 3 device issue is resolved.

I did as you said and deleted the 3rd listed device then ignored the Title device and added back the 3rd device ( if you see what I mean? Anyway, all 3 are now connected.

I am using an unused but 3 yr old Medion Notebook and finding it dismally slow so now need to find some way to improve that.

Thanks for yourprompt response ( a colleague also advised but I cant locate her post so hope she sees this, which applies to her also.

Bales

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bales Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?