cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel account when I no longer have access to associated email address?

How to cancel account when I no longer have access to associated email address?

ericverploeg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have an old Dropbox account that I haven't used for several years, but is still billing my credit card. My problem is that I no longer have access to the email address associated with that account, so I am unable to log in to cancel that account. I had my credit card company block the bill, but Dropbox waited for the credit card block to expire after a number of months and issued the charge again, which just showed up my most recent credit card statement. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@ericverploeg wrote:

My problem is that I no longer have access to the email address associated with that account, so I am unable to log in to cancel that account.

You'll need to contact Dropbox Support directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

ericverploeg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thanks for this suggestion. I tried following your suggested approach.

The online form included all the credit card transaction details that proved that I was indeed the Dropbox account holder, even though I no longer have access to the email account associated with the Dropbox account.

It's been eight days since I filled out the form, and I haven't heard anything (I included a new email account to reach me on), nor have I seen anything posted to my credit card account. 

Is there an alternate approach, or escalation path, that I should be considering? @DropboxSupport on twitter?

Thanks,
Eric

Rich
Super User II

@ericverploeg wrote:

It's been eight days since I filled out the form, and I haven't heard anything ...

Reply here with the ticket number you received after submitting the form and a Dropboxer may be able to check its status.

ericverploeg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your ongoing assistance. 

I did not get a ticket number after submitting the form you suggested. Perhaps they sent it to the email associated with the account (despite me saying I no longer had access to that account, and supplying an alternative email address to reach me on).

I thought perhaps I had missed it in the support request confirmation page, so I just re-tried the whole process. There was no ticket number on that confirmation page. 

Should I try their online chat? Is there a phone number to call? What's my best next step?

Thanks,

Eric

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ericverploeg, I hope you're doing well!

Can I send you an email in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ericverploeg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

I'd appreciate that. The best email for me is [personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

Thank you,

Eric

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I just sent you an email @ericverploeg!

I'll see you there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

adriangarcia
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have the same issue, I have been charged for years for an account I don't use, and I don't have access to that email in order to get login confirmation and do it on my own? Can you help me please? The old account is under [removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines]

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Can we email you, so we can look into this internally, @adriangarcia?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    pb400 New member | Level 2
    adriangarcia New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?