cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I become the team admin when the admin has left and didn't leave the password?

How can I become the team admin when the admin has left and didn't leave the password?

Lor2
Explorer | Level 4

Hello

The administrator of our Dropbox for Business left and we cannot contact him so the password has gone forever.

How can we make a team member become the team administrator?

Thank you and best Regards

Lor2

17 Replies 17

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @aoissa18, let's see what we can do about that! 

Actually, @Rich is right on what he mentioned above, about backing your content just in case. It's indeed a better idea to create a separate Business team. 

If your admin doesn't want to pass admin rights to anyone else, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. Same goes for billing admin. Have you made sure that the current one, is also paying for the account? 

I hope this clarifies.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

annette dunbar
Explorer | Level 3

How to remove your company administrator from your account once the person leaves the company

Rich
Super User II

@annette dunbar wrote:

How to remove your company administrator from your account once the person leaves the company

To change admin rights, refer to the following help article:

If the admin you want to remove was the only admin on your account, you'll need to contact Dropbox Support.

annette dunbar
Explorer | Level 3

How do you change your Dropbox Administrator?

Rich
Super User II

@annette dunbar wrote:

How do you change your Dropbox Administrator?

Answered in my other reply to you, above.

annette dunbar
Explorer | Level 3

This person has the only access to Admin portion to the account

wafoptreasurer
New member | Level 2

I need to speak with someone about how to find out who the admin is on our account. I am taking over the account and having issues with a previous bookkeeper on gaining access to remove them. I need to find out how to either a) remove them from the account (which is my company's information) or b) open a new account and remove my email address from the current account. I find it extremely frustrating that I can't ask this question to an actual person without first paying for a subscription. Which I can't do because I can't figure out how to make myself the admin on the account for my company. This is a very frustrating way of doing business. 

Mark
Super User II

If you are a free account there is no such thing as an Admin for it - its simple people who are users with accounts. That means you have no control over anybody elses accounts and they dont over yours. The only thing shared would be folders you share between people. 

So, if you want to set up a new structure and share with new people simply create new shared folders and remove any old ones. You dont need to set up new accounts for that.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    wafoptreasurer New member | Level 2
    annette dunbar Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?