cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback about the Family plan

Feedback about the Family plan

Bluebuilder
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Dropbox, I've got something to tell you, and you might not like to hear it,

I have had the family plan since 2019, and I think it's been nearly that long since the FAQ promised that an add-on option to increase capacity would be "coming soon."  Depending on where you get your market data, household data storage has grown at a CAGR of around 19.5%.  So, if 2TB was appropriate for a family to use in 2019, that baseline number should be nearly 5TB today.  You see the problem....

The Famly Plan is beginning to not service a family's needs in 2024.  Here is a perspective:

- We have WiFi 7, which is ridiculously fast for wireless; I would never have believed this would be a consumer technology in 2024

- ISPs are rolling out 10G ethernet service in major metros

- We can purchase 22TB hard drives

- Everybody is a "creator" shooting 4k video and recording 32-bit-float audio....on their phones (well, not the audio, but that's coming)

- Dropbox thinks a family only needs 2TB of cloud storage....wait, what?

(*sing along* One of these things is not like the others...)

Look, I'm going to tell it to you straight because I love you, Dropbox,

I know there are reasons for this not being rolled out. I can imagine all the balancing that has to be done vs. other plans in your portfolio, new features being rolled out and supported, how to manage the scale across failure domains, etc.  But it's gone on for too long, and it's time.  You've got to grow as we have grown. 

You're pushing me away into the hands of another cloud storage provider, groping greedy hands all over my family's data *ugh*. I don't want to leave, but in not too long, I won't have a choice...I've got to think about what's best for my family.  We've been so good together; take a moment to remember the good times and give us the capacity we need...please.

❤️

5 Replies 5

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hi there, @Bluebuilder and thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

We really appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback about the Family plan's available space and thanks for all the love.

I'll make sure to pass everything on to the appropriate team, so rest assured that your voice will be heard.

If there's anything else we can do, please let us know and have a wonderful day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bluebuilder
Explorer | Level 4

@Hannah Thanks for passing it up; I wanted to grab some attention without being another whiny customer.  At the end of the day, capacity is king.  When you run up against that wall, no amount of features will make a difference.

I know this is all power user stuff (in my case, Power Family), but it was power users who saw the light and helped get Dropbox off the ground, and there is an important lesson in that.  

Be wary of the product manager who dismisses the power users because of X, Y, Z Gartner analyst blah blah, insignificant market size.  Because my 87-year-old mother uses Dropbox to send her taxes to her accountant (which is just amazing when you think about the world in which she was born), and that was power-user stuff not very long ago.....

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I totally get what you mean, @Bluebuilder.

And it's users like you and your mother that help us make our products better, so we appreciate you and your feedback for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rpratten
Explorer | Level 3

Did this ever get solved?

Bluebuilder
Explorer | Level 4
Not as far as I know. No feedback beyond the friendly forum moderator.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bluebuilder Explorer | Level 4
    rpratten Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?