cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to edit word documents on iPad / Microsoft word

Unable to edit word documents on iPad / Microsoft word

AdamFerg
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I am using Dropbox (v206.5) on my iPad (up to date with IOS 14.01) and for most word documents I am able to open them from Dropbox app and edit them in word with no problem.  Periodically, when I open them, the document will open in word, but I am unable to make changes to the document (can't even type or change text).  I have checked to make sure that the documents are not "read only" and I when I try to open the documents on another device (my iMac), I am able to open and modify the documents with no problem.  I have also check to make sure that the documents are not open on any other device.  I have also tried to uninstall and re-install both the Microsoft word app and the Dropbox app on my iPad.  Any other ideas on what may be going on?  thanks in advance.

27 Replies 27

Ronins
Explorer | Level 4

Hey jay - thanks for your response, but this is not true.

Because of the dropbox-microsoft agreement, all dropbox users can edit word files, regardless of the size of the tablet.  I've been editing, without owning a 365 subscription, all throughout 2021

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/how-to-edit-your-microsoft-office-files-via-dropbox/

Ronins
Explorer | Level 4

SOLUTION!!!  Turns out you have to go into the iPad SETTINGS / Word

and RESET WORD

oddly, reinstalling Word and Dropbox did nothing,

but resetting word in the ipad settings did the trick.

must be a **bleep**ty cookie out there....  not that I understand cookies...

Starling
Explorer | Level 3

I’m also having this issue. I’ve tried resetting Microsoft and Dropbox logins, but it does nothing. OneDrive works perfectly fine and I can edit documents saved there no problem. I’ve also noticed that the files on dropbox don’t list the file pathway like those anywhere else. I think they used to but I’m not sure. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Starling, how are you today?

As a first thing, can you let me know the version of the Dropbox app that you have installed on your device, along with your OS? 

Let me know if you see any errors when trying to open your Microsoft files, and if this happens with all file types too.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Starling
Explorer | Level 3
@Megan

Dropbox version 272.2.2
OS 15.4 on an ipad Pro 13

PowerPoint and Excel work fine, only Word has the issue.

It doesn't recognise where an open file is saved. If I reopen word it used to open the last file I was working on, now it pops up with an error saying it can't open the file because it's been moved, renamed or deleted (it hasn't been)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Starling, could you try clearing the document cache in the Word app itself to see if this helps with the issue?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Starling
Explorer | Level 3

That seems to have done it, thanks!

Lukeharrison112
New member | Level 2

I face same issue on my phone as well but I think it was a bug and it resolved on its own.

Need more support?