cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Security Breach

Someone accessed my account through Canva. Has my account been breached?

Babe Mooney
Explorer | Level 3

Someone else is able to access my dropbox via her Canva account.  I have no idea how or why this is happening. AND does that mean others can also access my dropbox via Canva?  How can I contact a live person to help me get this fixed?

20 Replies 20

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @Babe Mooney, I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

Generally, if you think your account has been hacked, you can look through this article for some tips on how to proceed. 

However, I wanted to clarify that Canva is a service that allows students/professors to share content in one centralized place, and you can find more information about the integration, here

For this reason, could you clarify if you noticed that they gained access to your whole account or to specific content? 

If it's the latter, could it be that they received a shared link to if, or it was uploaded to their Canva account?

Give me a shout with any findings, thanks!

PS. Your support options depend on the sort of account that you have, and you can find yours by going to this page.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Babe Mooney
Explorer | Level 3

When they click Upload in Canva, they get the option to choose Google Drive, Dropbox, or Device.  When they click Google Drive they can also see my Dropbox.  I have not shared any links with them.  

I did transfer files from my dropbox to their Google drive using an online software MultCloud Transfer.  I believe that is what caused the issue, somehow.  But how do I get my dropbox disconnected for their Google drive? 

Thank you for your help in this matter. 
Babe

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Babe Mooney, it sounds like you might have used this software to connect to your Dropbox account. You'll need to unlink it from Dropbox itself.

If you don't have access to it, then try disconnecting your Dropbox account from here. If Multicloud is there, this will disconnect your account from there, so bear that in mind if you are using that service on other devices you use.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Babe Mooney
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I had already gone there and disconnected both Google Drive and Canva.   In my Canva account, Dropbox and Google Drive are both disconnected. And they are disconnected from the other person's account. However, when they connect their Google Drive then they have access to my dropbox.  Is it possible to create a new dropbox and move the content to a new dropbox? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It is possible to create a new Dropbox account under a different email, and you can then copy your files from one account to another manually, or via shared folders

However, my concern is how they're accessing your account. Could you clarify exactly what they're seeing on their end? Is their Multicloud account somehow connected to your own, or is your account signed in on their browser?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Babe Mooney
Explorer | Level 3

Here is a video showing how they have access to my dropbox. [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

They are not connected to MultiCloud.  They are not connected to any of my accounts in any way. 

I have set up another dropbox, with a new email. I have transferred one folder. But the second folder that I started to transfer is 100Mb and has been in the process of transferring for several hours. I finally stopped the transfer. 

Is it possible for you to help with the transfer so that it can be done quickly. 

I love Dropbox, but All of my information is at risk, please help me get this breach solved quickly. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
It looks like they're simply logged into your Dropbox account in the browser, hence why that option to connect is there

You can tell them to sign out of your account by visiting this link.

They might also have a password manager that automatically logs in on your account, if your password has been saved there. You can ask them to wipe any trace of Dropbox in the password history in the browser or any password manager apps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Babe Mooney
Explorer | Level 3

To solve the security breach, I have transferred all my dropbox files from my account to a new account so they no longer have access to the new account.  I tried to remove the dropbox app that is connected to that original account (so I could download a new one connected to my new account) 
BUT... during the process, I mistakenly clicked on something that removed my access to the app. So now I can't open, close, or remove that app.  
I tried downloading the app but that did not work.  

How can I get access to the app so that I can delete it and download the new app?  btw I'm on a mac. 
Babe

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @Babe Mooney, it sounds like you unlinked your account from the desktop app. 

For this reason, could you clarify what happens when you try to launch the app itself?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?