cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InDesign will freeze if we try to open files that are online-only

InDesign will freeze if we try to open files that are online-only

AL ARABY
Helpful | Level 5

Please note that we have a Dropbox shared among multiple employees. Since yesterday, we've encountered the following issue:

Whenever we try to open any files, such as InDesign or Photoshop files, through Dropbox that have a cloud status, the application freezes. To work around this, we need to right-click on the file in Dropbox, select "Save Offline," and then open it in InDesign through Dropbox. This problem did not occur before. If we don't save the file offline first in Dropbox, InDesign will freeze until we quit Dropbox, reopen it, save the file offline, and then open it again through Dropbox to work on it.

For example, if we click on one of these items that has a transparent X to open files from Dropbox in InDesign, InDesign will freeze first like in img1:

img1

ALARABY_0-1719584316063.jpeg

second  dropbox freeze also, for example if you right click on any dropbox file , no option to save the file offline or online .... like img2 :

img2

ALARABY_2-1719584443360.jpeg

the only solution is first to quit the dropbox  then open it again when dropbox became like img3 :

img3

ALARABY_3-1719584641021.png

then make the file you want to open through InDesign, Photoshop, or any other app available offline first. Then, you should be able to open it without any problems.

Another problem we're encountering is with opening files from Dropbox in InDesign. The first time we open a file, it displays correctly with icons like in img3. However, the second time we open a file, it appears like img1, with the dark green icon missing and the cloud icon becoming a transparent X. To restore the correct display (like img3), we have to quit Dropbox and reopen it.

Please address this issue as it affects multiple desktops and laptops used by six different users from various companies. Some of these users are on Windows 10, while others are on Windows 11. The problem started appearing yesterday.

34 Replies 34

aliwihbi
Helpful | Level 6

We face same issue 2 days ago. And till now Dropbox team think no issue

Nejc_R
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, there was an update on june 26th (version 202.4.5551) and since then I'm having the same problem.

I'm running all files offline only with selective sync to conserve on my hard drive yet having freezing as soon as I open Indesign. Opened ticket and I'm probably not the only one so they have to acknowledge a bug in that version but their "have you tried turn it off and on again?" demeanor is starting to piss me off.

I'm working on Win10 OS that also received a new update on the same day but lots of people has problem instaling it (yes, me too) so there might be some corelation with that.

And Dropbox if you read that, for the love of god LET US ROLL BACK TO THE OLDER VERSIONS UNTIL YOU SOLVE PROBLEMS IN NEW VERSIONS.

aliwihbi
Helpful | Level 6
We face same issue here. And till now Dropbox team think no issue, roll back the older version

Nejc_R
Helpful | Level 5

That's the problem, if you roll it back, DB will automatically update to latest version.

RSTirendi
Explorer | Level 4

That is exactly the problem... DropBox is FAILING THEIR CUSTOMERS by not pulling the current BROKEN release and holding it back until they can figure out what is wrong.  In the meantime, it would require virtually ZERO effort on their part and then, the application wouldn't automatically update.  In other words, make the PREVIOUS VERSION THE CURRENT VERSION.  The fact that DropBox is not taking this simple action is problematic and indicative of a more significant concern which is whether or not they value their customers.  This is ridiculous behavior on the part of DropBox.  And, the fact that this hasn't been escalated or that there has been no further communication is ridiculous.

Nejc_R
Helpful | Level 5

Managed to roll it back to previous version and somehow still hasn't updated I can comfirm when opening Indesign files there is no freezing occuring.

RSTirendi
Explorer | Level 4

Don't worry... it will eventually automatically update and you'll be back to "screwed".  Unless DB has pulled the latest release... which would be AMAZING!

chrispmil
Explorer | Level 4

I have the exact same issue started happening on the 26th june and file thats are "online only" would crash indesign when i try to open them.

Never had a problem previously, my only solution has been to download everything i am working on and take them out of dropbox - which kind of defeats the object of paying a cloud service! 

markusinit
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all, 

I hope you can help me. I have scoured the internet for solutions and none have worked thus far. 

I am a Graphic Designer and I am currently tasked with creating user manuals for my companies products. As a company, we use a shared Dropbox folder which has a vast library of asset folders, a lot of which I don't require access to as they are CAD drawings.  The preferences are currently online only (I know from previous searches that online only is sometimes the issue, but I'll come back to that) and selected sync, as I only need access to a few of the folders on the Dropbox desktop app. Dropbox storage isn't an issue as only 20.53% of 2TB's have been used. 

On Wednesday, I encountered multiple issues with Dropbox and Indesign CC.  When trying to place a file from the company dropbox onto Indesign, both the File Explorer and Indesign itself would freeze. This meant I had to Control Alt Delete and End Task. I would then open the file again, and various odd things were happening. Sometimes the file would open normally with no error messages. Sometimes I would be met with a file recovery message. Sometimes the file would open, but it would be called Untitled-1.indd. Sometimes the file would open and Indesign would ask me to re-link all of the files placed within the document, and when I tried to do this, I would get an error message about not being able to locate the file, or it would crash when re-linking. Sometimes Indesign would let me place one file, maybe two before freezing again. Sometimes Indesign would freeze or take about 5 minutes when trying to package the files. This process should only take seconds. 

When opening the Indesign file, Dropbox seemed to have trouble syncing the Indesign lock file (idlk). I would either get the error message "1 file is unable to sync", or it would just get stuck on "syncing files". The odd thing is, when I closed the Indesign file (indd), the lock file (idlk) would still show as syncing, which makes no sense. Why try sync a lock file if the parent file is already closed?

Currently the attempts I have made to resolve the issues are as follows:

The standard  IT Crowd "hello IT have you tried turning it off and on again?" fix - no effect.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Indesign - no effect.

I have tried clearing the cache on Indesign - no effect.

IT helpdesk accessed my PC remotely and tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox - no effect.

I have tried dragging Indesign files from Dropbox to my desktop -  no effect and this was causing the company One Drive to have sync issues also.  

I tried downloading files from the Dropbox.com website rather than the desktop app - downloading files from the Drobox.com to place them on the Indesign document do not sync, and then would freeze when trying to re-link them after deleting them from the downloads folder. 

I have spoken to our IT helpdesk company twice, and the chap I spoke with seemed completely stumped. The other colleague who has Adobe CC is also having the same issue, so it can't be my PC. As you can imagine, this is immensely frustrating to not be able to do my job, and I have lost two and a half days worth of work attempting to fix something that has worked absolutely fine in the 18 months I have worked for the company. 

My last ditch attempt at fixing the issue is to set the Dropbox folder to Offline only, so Dropbox is currently syncing 35,000+ files (around 52GB), which will take a while, so I'll update this post if it works. I am not hopeful, however, given that it is essentially the same principal as dragging files off the dropbox to the desktop. As I mentioned previously, I had already attempted this but to no avail. The freezing issue still persisted. 

So the two main issues are the Indesign (idlk) lock file not syncing properly with Dropbox, and Indesign freezing when trying to either place an image or even save, export or package the file. 

I hope someone somewhere out there in the ether can assist.

Thanks

Rob

AL ARABY
Helpful | Level 5

@Hannah, Any update concerning the issue , many users vs same issue , so its clear that the issue from updates, please update us concerning this critical issue? 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aliwihbi Helpful | Level 6
    rjl104 Helpful | Level 5
    Nejc_R Helpful | Level 5
    BenDBX Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?