cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google migration deleted unnamed file

Google migration deleted unnamed file

Paul C.32
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Looking at the "Google Migration Report.csv" file I see entries for a file that could not be converted and so it was deleted. The problem is that the "Source path" column is empty, so I have no way to know which file it was. Has anyone encountered this, and/or does anyone know how to tell which file this was?

For reference, this is how the line reads in the CSV file (after quite a few tries to convert):

2023-06-01 17:01:26,,epzY3WHVhEsAAAAAAAOZfw,Error,Microsoft Office File,,,Conversion failed,File ineligible for migration,Deleted file.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Go to solution
Hi all,

Happy to jump in on the conversation to clarify a few points:

As you know, the GDD migration started and processed files of specific set of users, with some receiving a migration report (CSV file). 

For files that were already deleted by our users - we didn’t do any migration or any other changes. Our migration logic was, in very simple terms:
  • found a file
  • identified this file was a deleted file> it is not eligible for migration > the file was then skipped for migration.
We understand that the message about deleted file was not very clear: Conversion failed,  File ineligible for migration, Deleted file.

Once again, they were not deleted by Dropbox in the migration, but they were omitted because they were deleted prior to the migration. 

We have partnered with our engineering team to clear up this messaging in the log as it does cause confusion about where the deleted files mentioned originate from.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Paul C.32, let's jump right into this! 

I'm not entirely sure that I follow the situation here. Can you give me some info in regards to the file, and where you're looking at it?

If you could also walk me through the steps that you follow, that'd be great.

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Paul C.32
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Megan, this relates to the recent change where Google files hosted in Dropbox were replaced by shortcuts. After that was done, I got a message on the Dropbox website telling me to review the results of the migration, and the file "Google Migration Report.csv" was placed in my Dropbox. This was all done automatically by Dropbox.

The line I referenced in my original post came from that CSV file. It tells me that one of my files was deleted because it couldn't be migrated, but there's no file name to refer to. There are other lines in that file that do have a file name under the "Source path" column, but not this one. This is my problem. I'd like to know which file was deleted and, if it was an important file, whether there's a way to recover it.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Paul C.32, did you have a lot of Google Docs on your account? Have you noticed any of the files you use going missing?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Paul C.32
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay, I did not have that many - two other files were migrated successfully. But I cannot remember what the other file could be. 😐

jamesbond000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've the same issue. I hope someone can explain why DB is deleting files that they cannot convert to Office formats.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, happy Monday! 

To clarify on the Google migration and deleted files: we can confirm that no files are/were deleted by Dropbox during the migration. If you deleted a file (before the migration) the report should state that the deleted file is ineligible, as we don't migrate files that were already removed.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help!'

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Paul C.32
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Megan:

I'm confused, because the CSV report explicitly says a file was deleted. Are you saying that the entry in that report is wrong and we should ignore it?

Or, are you saying that the "deletion" didn't really delete anything because *I* deleted the file before the migration started? If this is the case, I'm still confused, because:
a) I did not remove files manually like that,
b) if a file was deleted, how could the migration even try to process it, if it was no longer there??

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Go to solution
Hi all,

Happy to jump in on the conversation to clarify a few points:

As you know, the GDD migration started and processed files of specific set of users, with some receiving a migration report (CSV file). 

For files that were already deleted by our users - we didn’t do any migration or any other changes. Our migration logic was, in very simple terms:
  • found a file
  • identified this file was a deleted file> it is not eligible for migration > the file was then skipped for migration.
We understand that the message about deleted file was not very clear: Conversion failed,  File ineligible for migration, Deleted file.

Once again, they were not deleted by Dropbox in the migration, but they were omitted because they were deleted prior to the migration. 

We have partnered with our engineering team to clear up this messaging in the log as it does cause confusion about where the deleted files mentioned originate from.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

Thanks!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam DBX Community Manager
    Paul C.32 Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    jamesbond000 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?