cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox attachment in gmail

Dropbox attachment in gmail

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

251 Replies 251

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi all, thanks for your answers. 

Yes, our team is looking at the Gmail attachment issue (specifically for Android).  

I will update everyone as soon as we have news.

Thank you! 

LarryMore
Helpful | Level 6
I have an only slightly annoying workaround here:

When i go to attach a file, it takes me to the connected Dropbox, there is a square of little arrows on the right. When i click a file name, it starts to attach, but then i get the "can't attach" message. Same problem everyone is having, which started for me maybe 2 weeks ago.

If i click on the top-left hamburger instead of the desired file, i go back to the "open from" menu. Dropbox is a choice. If i click on the left side of the choice, it takes me back to the previous Dropbox. **But if i click on the RIGHT side, ** after the small vertical bar, on the little box with the arrow in it, it takes me to a different Dropbox menu, where i can SELECT the file i want by clicking a BOX next to the filename, then click the check mark at the top after the selection. The program says "downloading" (not to the download folder, but i don't know where) and attaches the file to the email. Send and done.

I'm sure the file gets downloaded somewhere, so that this solution is the same as first downloading the file and then second attaching it to the email, but it automatically attaches, i don't have to search or open another directory.... so this is good enough for me.

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6

I use the same workaround. Discovered by accident.

VickiBurbank
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks Larry!!!!! I'll do this until they fix the problem

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Thanks Larry, it works but surprised a big company like this doesn't have a quick way of contacting Google and getting it sorted out within 24 hrs. Kind of gets me worried about if something more serious happened

Metro Condo
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks, Larry. Works like a charm!

kj13
New member | Level 2

I am also having this issue. I can attach a file on a computer but not in the app. The Dropbox version is 340.2.4 and I have Android version 13. 

KathyMc4
Helpful | Level 5
I went back and forth with Google for a month. They have determined that the issue is a Dropbox issue. Has a fix been found or is there at least one on the horizon?

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Yes, read back. Someone posted a work around which is not so bad, but poor Dropbox have not been able to resolve this within hours.

KathyMc4
Helpful | Level 5
Do you mean using Outlook instead of the Gmail app or switching to Google Drive?
Need more support?