cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Beware Vicky that your phone doesn't clog up because I suspect what's happening you are downloading the file from Dropbox to your phone and then attaching. This is a different process.

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Calvin, it sounds to me as though you are suggesting that he attach to Gmail by having Dropbox download the file to our phones and then attach from there. The original system using the paperclip in a Gmail app I understood to take the file directly from Dropbox to Gmail servers. That meant the files were not stored on our phones. Besides the possibility of clogging up our phones with these attachments, why does the original system not work anymore?

DrVJMJ
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

But why would we want to share files by starting with the Dropbox app? We've always been able to work from Gmail which is where the communication is going on.?  And I suspect that when you be again with the Dropbox app the file is first downloaded to our phones and eventually fills up our phone storage.  What has changed so that the original system that worked so smoothly does not work anymore? Please drop box Can you at least explain this?

Uwt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
If you all look through this thread, a solution was provided a long time ago. You click the arrow next to the dropbox folder rather then the folder itself. Works like a charm.

Spcookie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
What arrow, I don't have an arrow, this problem persists.

Uwt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
When you go to attach go to the root folder list of: gallery, onedrive, dropbox, google drive, etc.
To the right of each is an arrow. Click that instead of the word dropbox. I have a Samsung phone.

Spcookie
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Take a snapshot please. I don't have any arrows

Uwt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I can't get a screenshot to paste here, but if you look at all the responses in the original thread, one of them had instructions with screenshots.

LarryMore
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
You click on the paperwork to attach. If that takes you to a screen where dropbox is at the top, you have to go up a level to get to the correct place. Click on the hamburger at the left of the title. This takes you to the "open from" menu with various folders (depending on how your phone's internal storage is set up.... this is what uwt called the "root folder list.") under the title. Scroll down to "dropbox," you will see a vertical dividing line and, on the right off that, the little box with the arrow in it, that everyone is talking about. Click on that little box/arrow. It will take you to your dropbox contents, with checkboxes on the right off the file names. Check the box, you get a "one selected" message at the top off the screen. Click the check mark at the top right off the screen, your come will be attached to the email.

I don't see a way to attach snapshots here, sorry !

LarryMore
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Edit: click on the paperclip to attach. If that takes you to the screen titled "dropbox," you must click on hamburger to the left of the title - that takes you "up a level."
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    antolepore Explorer | Level 3
    mboeker New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?