cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: android 12 doesn't let me attach files directly from Dropbox

'Can not upload the file' error when attaching from Dropbox to Gmail on Android

erlend w.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I try to add an attachment from dropbox to a mail in gmail, I receive a message in gmail "can not upload the file". This error occurs only on one smartphone with android 12. If I do the same , with the same dropbox and google account, on an other android phone (android 11 )or an android tablet, there is no problem. Both phones have the same app version of gmail

257 Replies 257

T S.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

But this has been an ongoing problem for months ... still investigating?????

Theresa

pelos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

to jay

Hi @pelos, I've merged you to this thread to keep similar queries together. This post indicates that we are currently investigating this matter in more detail.

so it means might be a bug?  

KathyMc4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
The hamburger is the 3 lines in the upper corner. Not sure if you saw these directions:
From email on your phone click on attach/paperclip, click hamburg on top left, don't click Dropbox but instead plus sign to the right of icon, checkmark files you want to attach then checkmark at the top right.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Currently, we've received reports about this behavior, so our team are looking into it in more detail on our end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Uwt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think I have a clue for you. I was only able to attach a file in gmail from the same email my dropbox is under, but not any of my other emails. I used to be able to attach from dropbox using any of my gmail accounts. (My dropbox is under a non-gmail email.)

pelos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

before didn't matter in my old phone Motorola x4

i could have my dropbox app  logged with account#1

then go to yahoo email. or any gmails account and  send an email from account#2  or account#3   

click attach>dropbox and will point at my last dropbox folder,  select the file  and vualla  was attached

Tmdale808
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This issue is still occurring - is there a solution yet? 

Running Android 12 on Galaxy S23 Ultra - have reinstalled Gmail, Dropbox, Chrome, etc. Cleared all caches, data, etc. Nothing works.

Can attach any file from any other storage location, just not dropbox.

Very frustrating.

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Read back through the replies. A work around has been posted a number of times.

Tmdale808
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks - I did that, and it does work... just wish the regular attachment method would function! Lol

Stevensimpson
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
It works for me and others, so not sure you are doing it wrong. It's been like this for months now, so I wouldn't expect a fix soon or it would have been done by now. To recap, after clicking to add attachment in Gmail, click the 3 Line (burger bar), that allows you to search the type of file you want to attach, then when you navigate to Dropbox, don't click on the word Dropbox and make sure you click on the small arrow to the right of the wording that says "Dropbox" and that points right. That works for me
Need more support?