cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tell us how you use Dropbox!

Tell us how you use Dropbox!

Amy
Community Manager
We have shared a lot of stories about how we use Dropbox, from using Dropbox to plan a wedding to organizing and planning a project, and now we want to focus on you and how you use it! So, to start, we would love to hear about how, and why, you started to use Dropbox.

Whether it was to make sure your photos were safe, or to scan and save your receipts, or to work on a group project, we want to hear about it! 

Leave your stories in the comments, we want to learn from you - the more we know about how you use Dropbox, the more we can share tips and tricks that make sense for you.

Looking forward to seeing your comments below! 
35 Replies 35

Amy
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing @maher1982! I can definitely relate to having your docs handy, when I moved house, it was so helpful to have my moving list wherever I was, as well as all my docs for the paperwork too.

Glad to hear you've been with us for a decade now! 

Amy
Community Manager

We'll try our best @F 1

Debells29
Helpful | Level 5
I stopped for awhile but I have now resumed. I have seen alot of new features i would like to explore.

Amy
Community Manager

Thanks @stephenroberts999, glad to hear it's working for you! Do you use Dropbox for personal use or work? I hope I'm not being too nosy, I just love knowing more about how people make the most of their access, so I can try to share tips that are useful 😁 

-21JO-ZUpkbRMJ
New member | Level 2
I just found it wanted to see what it was

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

I use DB for both work and personal. I also use google MyDrive but find it less intuitive and rather clunky compared to DB.

_MKT
Helpful | Level 6

The company I freelance for added me to their Dropbox enterprise account where our team of designers and marketing managers can save and access files on dropbox from work or home seamlessly, since covid lockdowns this became our new normal. I never work in the office, but we can all jump in on each-others files if someone is sick or if I pick up something someone else started - easy.

I work directly from dropbox from my mac as a designer, using adobe suite, I virtually never use the web version - although quickly learned when links annoyingly open in-browser you can click ... and choose "open in finder". I save shortcuts to my sidebar for files i'm working on by dragging the folder sideways onto it to access them.

It's worked brilliantly for a good 3 years until a dropbox update broke our ability to view online only file thumbnails and quicklook (spacebar) previews on Macs... so we all have to keep clicking "make available offline" which then downloads 1-5 gb of data A DAY to our mac's just to view jpg/gif/pdf/indesign/illustrator file thumbnails we are working on. Half the time I'm just trying to find and old image or file I need, or wanting to browse a folder of 200 images and select 10. Obviously I'm not going to open them all one by one, and downloading them all just to find a few is tedious. At the end of the week I try to remember to make them all online only again but it's a hassle and it used to be better - when I forget for a few weeks I find my 2TB mac studio filling up fast.

I store my personal files on icloud drive (family subscription), which works a lot better BUT doesn't have the ability to "rewind" a folder or file. This dropbox feature has saved me a handful of times when i've accidentally deleted or saved over the wrong thing. PLEASE make that feature available in the desktop app without having to go through browser!!

So far that one feature has kept me on dropbox for work, I'd have paid for a personal account by now if the thumbnail issue was fixed. 

pritam wu
Explorer | Level 4
我正在換新電腦系統,造成新舊兩部電腦同時存在現象,這不會很久,等新電腦系統完全安裝完並穩定一些時間後,舊電腦就會登出Dropbox 帳號

stephenroberts999
Collaborator | Level 9

Dear Dropbox: "Hear-hear" !! Please restore the functionality which MKT points out.

pritam wu
Explorer | Level 4
II am just an ordinary user. I only use Dropbox to synchronize some commonly used data between my PC and my mobile phone.
Need more support?