cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Tell us how you use Dropbox!

Tell us how you use Dropbox!

Amy
Community Manager
We have shared a lot of stories about how we use Dropbox, from using Dropbox to plan a wedding to organizing and planning a project, and now we want to focus on you and how you use it! So, to start, we would love to hear about how, and why, you started to use Dropbox.

Whether it was to make sure your photos were safe, or to scan and save your receipts, or to work on a group project, we want to hear about it! 

Leave your stories in the comments, we want to learn from you - the more we know about how you use Dropbox, the more we can share tips and tricks that make sense for you.

Looking forward to seeing your comments below! 
35 Replies 35

Enrico P.3
New member | Level 2
Back in 2010, when I started my residency at the university, I picked Dropbox to keep all my important stuff safe, ranging from notes and ebooks to all sorts of projects. It turned out to be a real lifesaver during a group project set up by one of my tutors, which had a bunch of us working together; Dropbox made it super easy for everyone to get along and share stuff. Even after finishing my studies, I’ve stuck with Dropbox for keeping my professional files, which are nearly hitting a whopping 1 TB now. I find it super handy to grab and work on files whenever I need to, especially since my own computer doesn’t have enough space to hold everything.

What I really rate about Dropbox is that it’s always there and reliable. It’s a big relief knowing that, no matter what happens to my computer – whether it breaks, gets stolen, or whatever else – I can just hop back on and get back everything that matters.

Pelikaan
Helpful | Level 5

I use Dropbox for many many years (cn't remember since when) as my way to approach files online when I am 'down the road' and consider Dropbox as a secure backup system. Dropbox has never let me down and the few issues, often caused by ignorance, have always been solved via the advices received from the community.

grenadahouse
Explorer | Level 4

I saw my brother, who is a lawyer, close his computer at office one day, while he had been working on a document, and said he would continue it at home, and he didn't have to copy the document onto a flash drive or email it to himself. I said WOW! Then a friend send me an invitation to sign up. I happily pay the subscription every year because it has reduced stress greatly!

SampsonPoh
Explorer | Level 4
I'm new in Dropbox. I'm just use keep some inportant photo and inportant document. I'm like to know more about Dropbox because I just wanted to open a online shop. Can know how to be keeping the shop documents and self documents. And can share with my online group too.

stevel3o7
New member | Level 2

Dropbox used to be go to backup system.  In 2023 the system quit backing up my important files.  I can manually upload an important folder to dropbox and the files show up.  But, dropbox does not sync new files in that folder!  I checked dates and found that ANY FOLDER I created after summer of 2023 IS NOT BACKING UP!
I searched dropbox help files and all I got were messages, flyers and popups for me to UPGRADE MY ACCOUNT, even though I am at less than 50% capacity.
JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK 
I started with google drive until that turned to junk, and now am dropping dropbox for the same reason.  I am just venting, I am sure nobody at dropbox give a rip if I leave.

Debells29
Helpful | Level 5
I started using Dropbox back in 2015, a photographer wanted to share a file with me and asked me to download it. I did and realised I was missing out. I started using it for my school work, for projects and saving my documents. I am so happy that after so many years I can still access these documents.

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Enrico P.3, thanks for sharing, this is great to hear and we're delighted to hear you've been with us for so long! I would love to know more about how you use Dropbox as part of your professional workflow!

Also, I would love to share your quotes in another post in the future, would that be ok with you?

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Pelikaan - this comment has just made me smile so much! Glad to hear that the Dropbox Community has helped you out! I would love to chat to you more about that, if you would be interested? Would you mind if I reach out to you by email to chat more?

Amy
Community Manager

I love this comment @grenadahouse! Seeing something work so simply is the dream - and I'm glad it's worked well for you too. I would love to share your quotes in another post in the future, would that be ok with you?

Amy
Community Manager

Hi @Debells29, thank you for your comment! Glad to hear this, I think photos are definitely one of the most popular ways that people discover Dropbox, and I'm so glad to hear you still have access to those memories. 

Do you still use it for new photos or is it just a trip down memory lane now? 

Need more support?