cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox tips & tricks

Learn how to get the most out of Dropbox with other users like you.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimizing Dropbox Storage

Optimizing Dropbox Storage

Mason Duke
New member | Level 2

Hey everyone! I’m a web developer at https://meituapksite.com and I have been using Dropbox regularly to manage project files and collaborate with my team. One thing I’ve been wondering though is whether anyone has tips on optimizing Dropbox storage when working with large files, like high-resolution images or videos? I sometimes hit storage limits faster than expected and would love to know if there’s a smarter way to manage that.

Thanks in advance for any advice!😀

1 Reply 1

dandid
Helpful | Level 6

In terms of actually helping you today, the best plan I find is to only synch folders you really are likely to need local access to, and then set all folders to online only, and set a whole project folder to available offline each time you change project. doing it file by file you have to hunt down too many lost Gb's too regularly I find.

but for the long term... if you are on a mac...

Try NOT updating dropbox, so you can continue to use the older version and the best reason for Dropbox to exist which is external storage. Once you upgrade to the lastest version make sure that 'auto renew sucscription' is turned off, so when you inevitably realise Dropbox is now superflous to your needs you don't accidentally continue paying for the service. Once you are on the new version you will never be able to use (at the same time) more files than your local hard drive has capicity for. You will be in a continuous loop of make online, make offline with every project you want to work with.  Dropbox are trying to make out like this is a transient problem they will fix, but it seems like they really aren't going to, and Apple doesnt want them to as it means people will start paying more for their storage upgrades when purchasing machines, and/or start paying for iCloud storage instead fo 3rd party options. 

I'm hoping DB will chime in here with news that they have in fact worked out a way around this problem...?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dandid Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?