cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Dropbox for Beginners

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get started with Selective Sync

How to get started with Selective Sync

Amy
Community Manager
Welcome to the Dropbox Community forum! We're thrilled to have you on board, and we want to make sure you get the most out of your Dropbox experience right from the start. Today, we're going to talk about Selective Sync. 

We’ll cover: 
  • What is Selective Sync
  • A video on using Selective Sync
  • How to use Selective Sync

What is Selective Sync? 

Well, it’s a feature in the Dropbox desktop app that allows you to remove specific Dropbox folders from your hard drive so you can save space on your computer. The folders you choose to remove from your hard drive remain stored in your account on dropbox.com.

How to use Selective Sync:

Step 1: Open Your Dropbox Preferences
  • On your computer, find the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  • Click on the Dropbox icon and then select the gear icon for preferences.

Step 2: Navigate to the "Sync" Tab
  • In the Preferences window, click on the "Sync" tab.

Step 3: Choose Selective Sync
  • Look for the "Selective Sync" option and click on it.

Step 4: Select the Folders You Want on Your Computer
  • A window will pop up displaying all your Dropbox folders. Uncheck the boxes next to the folders you don't need on your computer.
  • Click "Update" to save your changes.

That's it! Now you can save valuable space for things that matter most to you, and learn how other Dropbox features can improve your day too! Remember, if you ever change your mind or want to add more folders, you can always revisit the Selective Sync settings following the same steps.

We would love to share more tips to help you explore other Dropbox features, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, and let us know if you have any requests! We’re here to help each other, so dive in, enjoy, and make the most of your Dropbox account. 

So, what do you want to see from us? Let us know! 
18 Replies 18

GTATech
Helpful | Level 5

why is this feature not available in 2024 for Linux users?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@GTATech, That was (and is) always available for Linux too. There was only one exception several years ago - by mistake Selective sync was removed for Linux, but in that case the mistake was corrected fast after signaling (on the next release). I'm not aware of any other such case. The current one (192.4.4605) works with Selective sync too.

MH50
New member | Level 2

I simply do not get it.  What is the difference in files that are marked with solid green "Available offline"  and files marked with outline green "available"  They are both available off line and are synchronised. If you right click on a file and select make available off line, then it becomes solid green, not outline green, why?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MH50 - sorry to hear about this.

I just wanted to mention that you can see more information about the syncing icons here.

Feel free to take a look and let us know if you have any follow up questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GG325
Helpful | Level 6

My desktop dropbox app is not as complex as the one shown in the video. It also does not appear to have as many options on other things that this video shows the app to have available. I have the Plus account. Do I need to update my dropbox app?

GG325
Helpful | Level 6

I watched a video about how to selective sync in the Dropbox for Beginners forum. My desktop dropbox app interface and visual elements are not as complex as the one shown in the video. It also does not appear to have as many options on other things that this video shows the app to have available. I have the Plus account. Do I need to update my dropbox app? I've had my dropbox account for a few years but did not use it much. I've just upgraded and am trying to learn how to use it. I am struggling.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @GG325, the Dropbox application is the same for all our users.

Can you perhaps send us some screenshots of how the app appears for you?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GG325
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, I can, but could you please let me know how to send screenshots. I saved 3 screenshots on my harddrive as png files (is this format OK? When I click on the camera (in the tools above, in this chat window) it brings up an "insert/edit image" menu with boxes to fill in. The boxes are asking for Source, Image description, Dimensions

All boxes are blank and have no dropdown menus to assist me in what to do. thanks so much. I'm so new at all of this.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Hannah wrote:

Hey there, @GG325, the Dropbox application is the same for all our users.

Hi @Hannah,

Hm..🤔 Really?

Have you ever tried to use Dropbox application on Linux? Is it the same like on Mac and Windows? 🧐 My impression is in different direction. Also, How you're doing with teams in Dropbox application on Linux? Probably you don't have any issue with navigating between team folders (and other namespaces) there. 😉 You might share how you do it.

@GG325, just drag and drop the picture on appropriate place in your post - might be easier.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    GG325 Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?