cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Delete Folder in Dropbox

Cannot Delete Folder in Dropbox

Island S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have selected 'Delete' on selected folder, it disappears then reappears with the same exact 'date modified' date stamp within 5 seconds after I select 'Delete.' I have tried about 10x and so has my friend who shares the same Dropbox. Looked at security permission and I have all activated.

Thank you for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

poussard M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is what you do to fix this.  Go to your settings, security, security checkup, move through the questions to the devices listed.  Logout of all devices (computers, smartphones).  Then go to a browser, access your dropbox account, delete folders.  They are finally gone and do not pop back in a few seconds. If any computer is logged into dropbox you cannot delete a folder.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Aisling G.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Island! Sorry to hear about this folder reappearing. Reappearing files and folders usually occur because one or more of the computers that are synced are still accessing the folders. If you delete them, an application on another computer recreates them to continue working on the files.

To solve this issue, you should delete the file or folder from the Dropbox folder on the computer that's recreating the file. You can see which computer has re-added the file by going to the website and checking previous versions of the file.

The instructions for checking a file's version history can be viewed here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/11

Please note that you can only view the previous version of files not folders. If you have a reappearing folder, you'll need to open the folder until you locate a file, so that you can view the previous version of the file within the folder.

I hope this helps!

Shlomit H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem and this didn't help me.
The instruction of this Help does not Help me see the folder's history.

It's a folder I created, and I have a few people that shared the same folder. Two days ago, I accidentally added a folder with to many GB, and I deleted it immediately. since than it's keeps showing with it's subfolders. All of them are empty of files. I'm unable to delete is as it reappears 5 seconds too.

Marion B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same problem. The folder I am trying to delete is empty, so it doesn't help to search for a file history

Aisling G.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear about this! If you go to dropbox.com/support and follow the instructions there, you should be able to get in touch with a member of the support team. Please let us know the name of the empty folder which is reappearing, and we can figure out which computer is adding it.

Thanks!

Shlomit H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I already done that, but today I received an answer from you guys, that tell me to go to support again.
So you are telling me to go there, and there is telling me to go here.
Do you recon this is a good support? that each one is "throwing" me to the other?
come on...

Shlomit H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Can someone Help please?

Marion B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had a contact with the French support team and they helped me solve the problem.
There was one (authorised) computer which was trying to access the shared folder for synchronisation. Because the folder was considered active by Dropbox, Dropbox kept recreating it immediately. The support team was able to tell me which device.
All I had to do is close Dropbox on this computer, then log to the Dropbox website from the same computer and delete the desired folders.

Shlomit H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I already tried that, nothing I do helps.
I really need the support team, but it seems no one really helps.

Eric K.19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Was there any resolution here? I've tried deleting from the dropbox website too and it still reappears.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    poussard M. New member | Level 2
    Petra K.1 New member | Level 1
    rachel g.7 New member | Level 1
    Boris W.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?