cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: incorrect 'restricted_content' error from properties endpoints

incorrect 'restricted_content' error from properties endpoints

SC_dev4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm attempting to call properties/add, remove and update but I'm getting a content_restricted response. I checked the permission of my app thoroughly, and I do havee metadata.write activateeeed. I even weent ahead and generated a new refresh token to make sure I'm generating access tokens with correct permissions enabled. And nothing. When I geenerateed acceeess tokens through the api tester it works. But when I use access tokens generated with my refresh token I get the error. I see others have pointed out very similar problems and support told them there was an actual bug, so I think there's a good chance that I have found a bug here.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@SC_dev4 Здравко is correct; this doesn't indicate a scopes issue. This indicates that your app doesn't have permission to use that template. Note that user file property templates are app-user pair specific. You can't use an access token for one app to access a template that was created with a different app.

You mentioned using both your own app as well as the API Explorer app, which would cause this issue. If you're trying to use a template with your own app, make sure you also created it using your own app.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@SC_dev4 wrote:

... I checked the permission of my app thoroughly, and I do havee metadata.write activateeeed. ...

You don't have any issue with the required scope. If the scope was not set, your error would be 'missing_scope' and will inform you about the scope you need to add to be able use particular endpoint. Since that's not the case, don't delve in that direction. The error 'restricted_content' means that you don't have enough access right to the resource you want to modify.

Hope this gives direction.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@SC_dev4 Здравко is correct; this doesn't indicate a scopes issue. This indicates that your app doesn't have permission to use that template. Note that user file property templates are app-user pair specific. You can't use an access token for one app to access a template that was created with a different app.

You mentioned using both your own app as well as the API Explorer app, which would cause this issue. If you're trying to use a template with your own app, make sure you also created it using your own app.

SC_dev4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you both. Yes, this was in fact the issue. I had originally created my template using the API Explorer. I now created a new template using an access token generated with my refresh token and I can call the properties endpoints successfully.

Need more support?