cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Redirect URI documentation incomplete for code flow

Redirect URI documentation incomplete for code flow

FrustratedUser3
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox OAuth Guide - Dropbox

The process of using the redirect URI is not fully explained. There is no mention of which method will be used to call the URI (POST, GET, etc.) and there is no explanation of which parameters should be expected upon successful completion of the code flow. I was expecting to see an example of the incoming request. I'm currently guessing at how it should work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @FrustratedUser3,

If you mean callback query (redirect URI), after confirmation by user, ( it's NOT a call!!! ) GET method is in use. For code flow, there is mandatory 'code' parameter and optional 'state' parameter (appears when/if set in auth URL). Further you need to finish the flow with call to /oauth2/token where you get the flow' results (access token, optional refresh token, different IDs, etc.). 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

FrustratedUser3
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I was pointing out that the documentation is incomplete. The state variable is mentioned, the code variable is implied, and the http VERB is not referenced. This needs to be added to the documentation:

After the user presses allow during the code flow process, the browser sends a request to the redirect URI using the GET verb with the following query parameters:
* code: A code that ...
* state: An optional variable ...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@FrustratedUser3 Thanks for the feedback!

Need more support?