cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get last modified date for folders in Dropbox V2 API ?

Re: How to get last modified date for folders in Dropbox V2 API ?

Jonathan H.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Greg_K.

This is making it very complex and, I think, requiring lots of unnecessary API calls.

When a new folder is uploaded, I need to make a playlist from the mp3 files and share it.

So I detect when the folder is likely to be "settled" by seeing if the most recent file is older than 5 minutes. At which point I run 

sharingCreateSharedLinkWithSettings for each file to generate a playlist to save an API call each time.

But what if an item gets added, removed or changed? There is no way of knowing which item, so I have to run the create link on all the items, each time, with
result.url...
or "catch" the error, and then look for result.error.error.shared_link_already_exists.metadata.url

To have content_hash on folders would be amazing and save all those calls!

(To have public-style folders back would be even more amazing!)

Unless I am missing a trick here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To monitor changes on a folder like this, I recommend using the cursor functionality offered by /2/files/list_folder[/continue]. You can store the latest returned 'cursor' from any /2/files/list_folder[/continue] result, and then later call back to /2/files/list_folder/continue to get information about only what's changed since you last called. That way you don't have to process everything over again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To monitor changes on a folder like this, I recommend using the cursor functionality offered by /2/files/list_folder[/continue]. You can store the latest returned 'cursor' from any /2/files/list_folder[/continue] result, and then later call back to /2/files/list_folder/continue to get information about only what's changed since you last called. That way you don't have to process everything over again.

Need more support?