cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is App Folder access sufficient for shared folders?

Is App Folder access sufficient for shared folders?

gray
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm using SwiftyDropbox to create an iOS app that provides Dropbox syncing similar to 1Password, in that multiple users can edit and sync information between devices through a shared Dropbox folder.

My question is: if one user creates a shared folder inside my app's folder on their Dropbox, would it appear in my app's folder on the other user's Dropbox? Is App Folder access enough for me to access a shared folder on both users accounts or would that require Full Dropbox access?

Just as a side note: 1Password requires Full Dropbox access, but I wanted to be sure I was using the least priviledged access possible.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Apologies for the delay! There was an issue with the forum and I was only just notified of your post.

Anyway, no, files and folders inside one user's app folder are not automatically accessible to other users.

Also, app folders are incompatible with shared folders. That is, app folders can't contain shared folders, be contained in shared folders, or themselves be shared as shared folders.

If you need your app to interact with shared folders, you'll need to use full Dropbox access.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Apologies for the delay! There was an issue with the forum and I was only just notified of your post.

Anyway, no, files and folders inside one user's app folder are not automatically accessible to other users.

Also, app folders are incompatible with shared folders. That is, app folders can't contain shared folders, be contained in shared folders, or themselves be shared as shared folders.

If you need your app to interact with shared folders, you'll need to use full Dropbox access.

gray
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
No worries - thanks for your help!
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gray Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?