cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get comments / discussion for a file via API?

Get comments / discussion for a file via API?

mpg9123
New member | Level 2

Hi, is there a way to get the comments (as appears on the right side panel of the web UI) for a file via the API? I have searched the methods list for logical names related to that function and also tried `filesGetMetadata`, but no luck so far. Thanks

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, unfortunately the Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to access file comments, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

brad-robinson
New member | Level 2

It's been 4 years ... any update on this?

I need to export comments on 8,000+ photos in Dropbox.  How do I do this?

I found some sample code using the endpoint `/2/comments2/list_comments` but it gives this error:

```

Error in call to API function "comments2/list_comments": Your app is not permitted to access this endpoint because it does not have the required scope 'private:comments.read'. The owner of the app can enable the scope for the app using the Permissions tab on the App Console.

```

Checking the Permissions page for my app, I can't see that permission listed anywhere.

Sounds like there's an API for this, just can't figure out how to access it, nor can I find any documentation.

Please help.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@brad-robinson No, unfortunately I don't have any update to share on this. The endpoint you mentioned is internal and not part of the public API and so is not available to third party apps.

brad-robinson
New member | Level 2

So how do you suggest I export comments from 8,000 files?

Most of the comments I received a notification - is there an API I can use to get notifications sent to me?  I don't mean file change notifications, I mean the notifications shown here:

bradrobinson_0-1728333348507.png

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@brad-robinson Unfortunately the Dropbox API doesn't offer a way for third party apps to export comments or notifications like this, but I've sent these along as feature requests. I can't promise if/when this might be offered though. Apologies I don't have better news to offer!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    brad-robinson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?