cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to publish my App?

Do I have to publish my App?

jack-gpt
New member | Level 2

I built an App to get an API key, so that I can use a workflow automation I've designed to upload files to a dropbox folder.

Nothing Fancy, but also not built to be published externally.

Is there a way to put it into production without making it publicly available?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jack-gpt wrote:

Hi @jack-gpt,

It's up to you, whether your application will be public or not. Your Dropbox' application profile is accessible behind corresponding Dropbox account only (i.e. your account). As far as your Dropbox account is not compromised somehow, the same is valid for your application profile. Dropbox application profile has nothing to do about your application code as well as your code accessibility.

Add: Just in case to avoid confusion: The opposite in not true! It's your responsibility to keep your profile safe (including behind your application accessibility). Even more, Dropbox may decide to ban your application profile due to suspicious behavior of the associated application code!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@jack-gpt wrote:

Hi @jack-gpt,

It's up to you, whether your application will be public or not. Your Dropbox' application profile is accessible behind corresponding Dropbox account only (i.e. your account). As far as your Dropbox account is not compromised somehow, the same is valid for your application profile. Dropbox application profile has nothing to do about your application code as well as your code accessibility.

Add: Just in case to avoid confusion: The opposite in not true! It's your responsibility to keep your profile safe (including behind your application accessibility). Even more, Dropbox may decide to ban your application profile due to suspicious behavior of the associated application code!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jack-gpt In addition to what Здравко said, note that if the app is only for connecting to your own account, you don't need to request "production" status anyway.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?