cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create direct file link and and quota limit

Create direct file link and and quota limit

Kuroobi20
New member | Level 2

Good morning, I want to implement dropbox in a development, the idea is to provide links with direct download, that is to say that it is downloaded automatically in the browser. It's possible?

What limitation does dropbox have, by requests or by GB downloaded? I really just need direct download link thanks

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Kuroobi20,

Probably you don't see the details your question, but you actually asking for 2 different things.

"direct file link" - I will suppose you have shared link created by /2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings. Such a link ends with "?dl=0" parameter. Replacing the parameter to "?raw=1" will give your direct raw access to the file (useful for embedding content in web page for instance).

"links with direct download" - Here you have 2 options. The first one is to replace the link parameter to "?dl=1", which will turn it to download link (no preview anymore). The second option is using temporary link with /2/files/get_temporary_link. Such a link is for short term use and represents downloadable content without redirection.

Hope this helps.

Kuroobi20
New member | Level 2

thanks for the answer, I have tried the link dl=0 modifying it to dl=1 and indeed it is a direct download link, my next question in this question was, what limit does dropbox have for this link? or have unlimited downloads?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

This part of your question depends on your subscription. For different plans are different limitations. If you hit that limit your links will be banned. For more info take a look here.

Good luck.

PS:

@Kuroobi20 wrote:

... to dl=1 and indeed it is a direct download link, ...

Just to avoid confusion - such a link is NOT direct (it's just download link)!!! It supposed redirection (with HTTP code 302 and 'location' header)! If you need really direct links the only supported option is the temporary link (in spite other tricks are possible too).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Kuroobi20 Здравко is correct; for reference, you can find information on using these "dl" and "raw" parameters on shared links here.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Kuroobi20 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?