cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instructions for a simple link on a webpage?

Instructions for a simple link on a webpage?

Msadr
Explorer | Level 4

All I want to do is hyperlink from a webpage to a shared drobox folder.  Is this impossible?  No matter how I format the link, I get "Dropbox refuses to connect".  I created an app and added that domain, still refuses to connect.  If I paste the link into a browser window, it works.

This seems like such a simple thing.  Does anyone have instructions anywhere on how to connect from a secure website to a specific dropbox folder?  I don't need any functionality at all.  I don't even need to display the contents anywhere.  I just want to direct the user from the webpage to dropbox.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Based on your description, such as creating the app and registering the domain, it sounds like you've tried to set up the Dropbox Embedder. The Dropbox Embedder is a way of displaying content from a Dropbox shared link directly on a third party site.

You mentioned that you don't actually want to display the contents though, so you don't need to use the Embedder. You can use standard HTML functionality to link to Dropbox web pages, just like one might do with other URLs.

We can't really offer support for HTML itself, but just for example, you could make an anchor element for a hyperlink like this:

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/">Link to Dropbox</a>

You can replace https://www.dropbox.com/ with your full desired URL.

Msadr
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks but this is exactly what I did.  When I click on it, I only get the message "Dropbox refuses to connect".  What must I do to the shared folder link to make it clickable from the webpage?  Pasting the link into the browser works.  Clicking the link from the webpage does not.  I feel stupid that I can't get a hyperlink to work!  There must be some parameter that I need in the URL?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Msadr wrote:

... There must be some parameter that I need in the URL?

Hi @Msadr,

No, you only need to keep all URL params as they are - just don't change nor remove something. If you have some example page that doesn't work, it would be more informative.

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Msadr Здравко is correct; you do not need to add anything to make a standard hyperlink work. From your description though, it sounds like you may still be using some Embedder or iframe functionality. Make sure you only have the standard anchor element if that's the only thing you want. Otherwise, feel free to show what you have that isn't working as expected.

Msadr
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, that gave me a hint.  The website I'm working with defaults the link target to the frame.  All I had to do was add target = "_blank" and the hyperlink works now.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Msadr Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?