cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Access token creation Its only me and its requesting a team administrator to generate

Issue with Access token creation Its only me and its requesting a team administrator to generate

Carter57
New member | Level 2

Carter57_0-1706619078542.png

You see its only me and I am trying to generate an access token. Why is it requiring a team administrator? Did I mess up something in the settings?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Carter57,

Turn to permission tab above. Take a look on "Team Scopes". Have you selected some of them? 🧐 If so, only team admin can perform such an action. 😉 Remove all team scopes.

As a workaround you can authorize your application using OAuth flow where you can limit the active scopes to applicable for personal account only (without changing scopes already set to the application as such). Of course, non team admin account won't be able use scope permitted for admin only.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Carter57,

Turn to permission tab above. Take a look on "Team Scopes". Have you selected some of them? 🧐 If so, only team admin can perform such an action. 😉 Remove all team scopes.

As a workaround you can authorize your application using OAuth flow where you can limit the active scopes to applicable for personal account only (without changing scopes already set to the application as such). Of course, non team admin account won't be able use scope permitted for admin only.

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Carter57 Здравко is correct. This error occurs when attempting to connect an app with any "team" scopes but the user account isn't a team admin. The "team" functionality can only be used by Dropbox teams, and can only be authorized by Dropbox team admins.

If your app only needs to use "user" endpoints, such as for file functionality, you should disable any team scopes on the app. (If the app does need to use any "team" endpoints though, it will need team scopes, which can only be authorized by a team admin.)

You can remove any unnecessary scopes from the "Permissions" tab of the app's page on the App Console and then try to connect the app/generate an access token again.

Carter57
New member | Level 2

Yes, that was it! All fixed.. Had some team collaborative options clicked.. Removed them and all is well now.. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Carter57 New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?