cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem opening documents in dropbox app on laptop "word unable to read this document"

problem opening documents in dropbox app on laptop "word unable to read this document"

LisaMac
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there

I have one dropbox account for work purposes.  After working perfectly, I'm now having issues with the dropbox app on windows laptop.  Error message: "word is unable to read this document. It may be corrupt. Try one or more of the following: open and reapair the file/open the file with the text recovery converter".  this is affecting 90 per cent of the documents I try and access from the app.

I have ensured I'm logged in to the same account (I only have one anyway), uninstalled and reinstalled the app and used selective sync  for the folders I need to see in the app.   following exactly the same steps on a different laptop, it all works perfectly.

So, is there something about a setting on my work laptop that could be causing this?

help very much appreciated!  thank you

7 Replies 7

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome aboard the forum, @LisaMac! Let’s take a look. 

If you open your web Dropbox account and download a file to another location on your computer (outside of Dropbox), can you open it normally then? 

Can you provide a screenshot of the error you’re receiving, as well as one more showing the syncing icons next to the files you can’t open on the desktop app?

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SigurdurBjornsson
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy, 

I'm having a similar problem. I just got a new computer and installed the Dropbox app and added my dropbox folders to the folder system on my pc. Everything was working perfectly on my old one, but now I get this error message for every Word document: 

SigurdurBjornsson_0-1712742097907.png

I can't open any documents actually. I can download documents from Dropbox web and open them though. Then there are these sync signs on every document: 

SigurdurBjornsson_1-1712742254985.png

Everything seems to be working normally on my old pc. 

I am paying for additional storage space.

I would very much appreciate help on this. 

All the best, Sigurdur

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @SigurdurBjornsson, this looks like an orange box icon, which could indicate a conflict with OneDrive on your machine, is it currently running?

Could you try marking those files as available offline to see if this helps with opening them?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

SigurdurBjornsson
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, thanks for the reply

I'm not logged into OneDrive. 

It's so strange, most of my files have this orange box on them and I can't access it. Three times this has happened but after a while and/or restarting my PC everything is back to normal.

It's very inconvenient not being able to access my files, I use Dropbox every single day for all my work files. Do you know if there is any way to prevent this from happening?

All the best, Sigurður 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

This error usually occurs when there is another cloud provider on your machine, which is affecting the sync icons on Windows.

Generally, marking the files as available offline would help, since the files are then stored on your machine and you shouldn't get another issue like this.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Kim2000Kirk
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem.  I had to reinstall Windows on my laptop and I set up Dropbox app and downloaded all my files - not I am getting the same message.  It says my files "are available offline" but I can't open any of the documents from my computer files, only by going to Dropbox online.   I checked and One Drive is installed but not set to sync.  So that is not a problem.   I need to be able to access my Dropbox files off line.  I have been paying for this service for years.

Kim2000Kirk
New member | Level 2

I somehow got it to work.  I went into Dropbox setting on my computer and changed it from "read only" so that I can modify the files and it updated all the files in my DB folders and now I can open them. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kim2000Kirk New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    SigurdurBjornsson Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?