cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my files disappeared.

my files disappeared.

Not applicable

I installed the dropbox on my MAC and it automatically uploaded some files.

However when I entered the dropbox, it is not there. it is an important file and I cannot miss it. Can someone help me? I already looked at the list of deleted files and there is nothing. I did it on Tuesday, the 26th, and on the 27th, I was no longer. I already did the backward process but the file just disappeared. I don't know what else to do! when i try to open the file in Word, it appears that it is in the dropbox in the following path: users / paulobarros / dropbox / mymac / desktop / filename but when I open the drop, there is nothing. HELP PLEASE!!!

99 Replies 99

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Mi dispiace apprendere che i tuoi file mancano, @lr5

La prima cosa che devi capire è se si trovano all'interno di un account Dropbox diverso.

Assicurati di controllare tutti i tuoi indirizzi email, per vedere se riesci a trovare email da Dropbox, in modo da sapere se questi indirizzi sono associati agli account Dropbox.

Inoltre, hai creato l'account del team Dropbox Business ad aprile? O ti sei unito alla squadra di qualcun altro?

-------

Sorry to hear that your files are missing, @lr5.

The first thing you'll need to figure out is if they're possibly inside a different Dropbox account.

Make sure to check all your email addresses, to see if you can find emails from Dropbox, so that you know if these addresses are associated with Dropbox accounts.

Also, did you create the Dropbox Business team account back in April? Or did you join someone else's team?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ka25
Explorer | Level 4
Dear Mark,
I thank you very much for your answers and your help. Also I thank very much your colleagues who answered me before for their help.
I solved the problem.
Best regards
Katrin

KatHomespun
Explorer | Level 3

I went into Dropbox to retreive a file only to discover that every single file I had uploaded (pdf's) are GONE! 
I went into my computer's history and found several old links to certain files on dropbox and when it brings me to the dropbox page, a message pops up saying file doesn't exist. 
I don't know what happened but Im devestated that all my files are now gone!!

Mark
Super User II

What does www.dropbox.com/events show?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KatHomespun
Explorer | Level 3

only recent things I did the last hour.

KatHomespun
Explorer | Level 3

I went into my computer's history to find a previous link from September and when I click on it instead of it bringing me to the file I get an error message saying "file doesn't exist." It's as if all my files were deleted. But yet when I go into deleted files nothing there exists.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @KatHomespun, sorry to hear about this.

I would suggest scrolling down as much as you can on the events page; it should show you events as far back as 30 days ago, so make sure not to miss anything that would give you a clue as to what happened.

Try searching for some example file names through the search bar as well, to see what you can find.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

PatrickVB
Explorer | Level 3

I am missing years of files, none of which I selected for deletion.

Is Dropbox arbitrarily deleting files without notice?

Is there a work around?

Good grief.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @PatrickVB, sorry to hear about this.

Dropbox won't delete your files, but here's a list of reasons why files might get deleted.

What does your deleted files page and your events page show?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

PatrickVB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, 

Thank you for the very speedy response.

No one else has access to my files, and Dropbox is very good about alerting me to someone else signing onto my account—so something is literally amiss!

Many of my files are missing and unretrievable 30/180/365 days; I did not delete them, and from what I see on this forum and the (questionable) internet searches, others have experienced similar deletions.

Under what circumstances would Dropbox delete files, or is there a potential syncing issue from old to new devices?

Patrick

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    LennyH Explorer | Level 4
    Iike Helpful | Level 5
    2rerik Explorer | Level 4
    pixiupl Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?