cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files disappeared

my files disappeared.

Not applicable

I installed the dropbox on my MAC and it automatically uploaded some files.

However when I entered the dropbox, it is not there. it is an important file and I cannot miss it. Can someone help me? I already looked at the list of deleted files and there is nothing. I did it on Tuesday, the 26th, and on the 27th, I was no longer. I already did the backward process but the file just disappeared. I don't know what else to do! when i try to open the file in Word, it appears that it is in the dropbox in the following path: users / paulobarros / dropbox / mymac / desktop / filename but when I open the drop, there is nothing. HELP PLEASE!!!

99 Replies 99

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @APSN, if you're not seeing the missing files on the events page or deleted files page, then there's a few possibilities as to why this might be the case:

• The files are on another Dropbox account
  • They were on a shared folder you don't have access to any more
  • The files were deleted outside of the 30 day period
  • The files were permanently deleted

Please could you check the above to try to locate the files.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much for your reply. We only have one account. I have checked with all the other people who share the files (there are only 3 others) and they don't have access either. The account is in my name and I have had it for many years. We didn't delete any files at all. The last time we used it (due to the Christmas break) was on the 12th-13th Dec. when we uploaded a meeting and attendance reports. It was only yesterday when I needed our logo to put in a presentation I am working on, that I realised there is nothing there. There were 3 files left that were not in folders. The only other thing that is there are the empty folders. This is a total disaster for us. All of our stuff is in there and our funding, among other things could be affected by this.

Many thanks,

Mary

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, Mary.

So just to confirm, is the email address that you see in your account settings here the same one as the one you've always been using for your Dropbox?

If that's the case and all you see in this account is empty folders, can we send you an email, so we can take a deeper look?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Yes, that is the email. I have tried to "verify" it but i never get the email to do that. I have used that one forever. 

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

Just to add to that. It's not just me who is seeing empty folders. Others that I work with can't see anything either.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Okay, Mary, no worries, I just sent you an email, so we can take a look into your account, to see what we can find.

Make sure to get back to me when you have a chance!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

HI Hannah,

We have found the files! One of the people in our group's husband reset her old computer to factory settings. She did have Dropox and her files on her new computer however, but we are wondering if this might have been an issue. Anyway, they have popped up in her deleted files list and we are in the process of restoring all of them. I hope this works. Thank you so much for your help and I will get back to you if the final result is not as expected!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to hear that you've found the files and are currently restoring them, Mary!

Of course, if anything happens and you still need help, please let us know.

Otherwise, have a great day and a happy new year!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again. Very appreciative of your help.

Iike
Helpful | Level 5

I have no idea what happened, i logged into my dropbox (use it daily) and today everything is gone, i have dropbox for over a decade. I had 25GB from when they started i referred tons of people.

For some reason i was logged out, so I looged back in, i think i may have accidently logged in using GMAIL login with the same Dropbox gmail email address i had before.  Could this have wiped out everything? 

How can i get back my old login with all my files.

I can get in, but i see nothing, no files and folders, just a few files from 2018 like 3 or so...

Help please!

Need more support?