cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Fles

my files disappeared.

Not applicable

I installed the dropbox on my MAC and it automatically uploaded some files.

However when I entered the dropbox, it is not there. it is an important file and I cannot miss it. Can someone help me? I already looked at the list of deleted files and there is nothing. I did it on Tuesday, the 26th, and on the 27th, I was no longer. I already did the backward process but the file just disappeared. I don't know what else to do! when i try to open the file in Word, it appears that it is in the dropbox in the following path: users / paulobarros / dropbox / mymac / desktop / filename but when I open the drop, there is nothing. HELP PLEASE!!!

99 Replies 99

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey Patrick.

Dropbox wouldn't actually delete your files; a deletion is usually either caused by the users (perhaps accidentally) or some kind of hard drive issue.

Did you recently have any hard drive issues? 

What kind of files did you lose? Just files you had manually stored in your account or desktop files that you backed up to Dropbox using Dropbox backup?

And most importantly, what do the deleted files and events pages show?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PatrickVB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

I have no hard drive issue, only upgrades to devices, a new studio Mac, a new iPhone, etc., other than that, nothing comes to mind. Inadvertent deletions are a possibility, although unlikely.

The files deleted were jpgs and tifs, most unfortunately, the missing files include a series of art projects, and photographic images from years ago, as well as more recent ones. These were in Dropbox, as well as stored using Dropbox backup.

I am over my storage limit, perhaps this caused what I interpret as unintended deletions by Dropbox(?). 

Thank you for your responses, and patient effort to walk me through this catastrophe. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PatrickVB, do you get any errors or specific results when trying to check your deleted files page, or events page that my colleague provided? 

Did you use the desktop app, in order to add new content to your account? 

If you were doing that, and you were also over your allocated quota, then it's possible that the files never synced to your account in the first place. 

When was the last time you saw the content online?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

PatrickVB
Explorer | Level 3
Hello Megan,

The messages I recall encouraged me to upgrade my account, likely with a warning new files would not sync into the folder. Nothing indicated older, existing files would be replaced/deleted.

The missing files were placed in Dropbox years ago, I recall seeing the folders, which are now empty. More recently synced files are still in my Dropbox account.

Please note, I am “missing files,” indicating the files were in Dropbox and now, magically, curiously. they are not.

Patrick

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey Patrick, indeed, when your account goes over its quota, new files won't sync , but already existing files won't get deleted either; they stay in the account.

So, just to confirm, did you find anything related to the missing files in the events or the deleted files page?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

I have no idea which "Board" I should put this on, but all of our files and other things have disappeared from Dropbox. There are about 3 files left. Is there anything we can do. This is important stuff because we run support groups and we are funded by the government. Obviously we need accurate records, which we have, or thought we did. We have been using Dropbox for 6 years. We did have a hiccup a couple of years ago, which we managed to sort out eventually. This is really beyond stressful. Thank you for any help that you can give us.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear about your files missing, @APSN.

Have you checked your deleted files page and your events page, to see if you can locate them there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Hannah. Yes, I have checked those with no luck. 

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

I note that Dropbox had an "issue" on 15th Dec. which they say they resolved. That is the day that our files appear to have gone. The folders are there with that date on them, but they are empty. 

APSN
Explorer | Level 3

I have the same issue PatrickVB

Need more support?