cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Documents lost

my files disappeared.

Not applicable

I installed the dropbox on my MAC and it automatically uploaded some files.

However when I entered the dropbox, it is not there. it is an important file and I cannot miss it. Can someone help me? I already looked at the list of deleted files and there is nothing. I did it on Tuesday, the 26th, and on the 27th, I was no longer. I already did the backward process but the file just disappeared. I don't know what else to do! when i try to open the file in Word, it appears that it is in the dropbox in the following path: users / paulobarros / dropbox / mymac / desktop / filename but when I open the drop, there is nothing. HELP PLEASE!!!

99 Replies 99

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Ka25 

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ka25
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much for your answer.

=> Nothing. It tells me that there are no activities yet. As if I never would have done anything with Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

If it says that it means exactly that - you've done nothing with this account. As its not possible to clear that list you must have a second Dropbox somewhere and as such if you log out and in to that you SHOULD find your documents! 

Can you search your emails for the no-reply@dropbox.com emails to see if that helps?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Ka25
Explorer | Level 4

- I never had a second Dropbox-Account. I never used Dropbox a lot. I only have this one account, with different types of documents I received up to 10 years ago being all there.

- "Events" says that there have been no events in this account yet - while next to that information the folders of "2013" "2014" are all there ...

- In my mails I only found a message from 2015, that my Dropbox account is full and no additional data will be stored or synchronized. But since then I had deleted older data in Dropbox and there was no more such message after 2015. In July 2023 I had used Dropbox on several days and the data was all there.

Mark
Super User II

www.dropbox.com/events shows the activity of every folder in an account - addition/deletion and editing etc. So the upload of the folders should appear on there if they went to this account. 

In terms of uploading how did you do it? Did you do via website or computer and put it in to the Dropbox folder? How did you check they'd uploaded? 

Do you have enough quota at www.dropbox.com/account/plan ?

Ka25
Explorer | Level 4

- That in my account www.dropbox.com/events does not show anything, in my opinion, is a sign that there is something wrong. If that event list can't be deleted, it should show at least ANY event, as my account exists at least 10 years.

- For uploading I used different methods. Most documents I loaded up through my then laptop from work, where one could select among others "Dropbox" (for loading photos e.g.). Other documents I loaded up through my Smartphone. - I saw that all data were in Dropbox, because on several days in July 2023 I was occupied doing this storage before leaving this job position. During this time I had opened Dropbox with my home Laptop, created and organized different new thematical subfolders there and put the data partly in these new subfolders. Everything was definitively there.

- I have a possible storage space of 2 GB. Therefrom are occupied 0,9 GB. So, if the storage space would have been a reason, I would have found messages of Dropbox indicating that. Also then the 2 GB would be full, and at least ANY of all my stored data or subfolders would appear.

Rich
Super User II

@Ka25 wrote:

That in my account [Events] does not show anything, in my opinion, is a sign that there is something wrong. If that event list can't be deleted, it should show at least ANY event, as my account exists at least 10 years.

That's the point that Mark is trying to make. If the Events page is empty, then either that account hasn't had any activity at all in the last year, or it's new, empty account. The Events page wouldn't be empty otherwise.

If you're certain that you've uploaded files to a Dropbox account, it's not the account you're currently signed in to. Do you have another email address that you might have used for the Dropbox account? Try signing in with it.

Valdou1
New member | Level 2

Hi, I had been using dropbox since 2015 when I decided to change career and retrain as a therapist. All of the files from my studies and work ,  with many audio recordings are gone.

I was on an old tariff and only realised a few days ago that  there was a new layout and new tariff that is double the price I used to pay for so many years...

I want my files back. I logged in through a link Dropbox emailed me and now it's all gone. I should have used my usual logging details... I guess.

How can I get my files back ??? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see that your files are missing, @Valdou1.

When was the last time you accessed your Dropbox account, before you logged in and realized that your files were missing?

Is it possible that the files are located in a different account, under a different email address?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lr5
Explorer | Level 3

Ho avviato un account TEAM, con due utenti in aprile 2023 - a fine settembre, senza preavviso, i miei files non si vedevano più - dopo molte proteste ho rivisto i miei files da aprile in poi - tutti quelli precedenti, creati con registrazioni di anni di lavoro, sono scomparsi - nessuno mi sa dire come, perchè, quando, ecc. - da oggi non riesco nemmeno a contattare il support - inutile dire che durante l'ultimo mese ho pagato due abbonamenti per i miei due ex utenti - SONO NELLA CONFUSIONE PIÙ TOTALE !!

Need more support?