cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Signing Out delete Dropbox on my local files? or do I have to manually delete them?

Will Signing Out delete Dropbox on my local files? or do I have to manually delete them?

Acey Tseng
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

I would like to ask if Dropbox automatically deletes files in the computer once you sign it out or unlink an account.
If no, does it mean I have to delete all the files?

What will happen if I didn't delete and sign in using same account, will it re-download all files? (Make available offline)

or create duplicates?

If it does delete all files in computer, that would be better.

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Acey Tseng, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you sign out of the Dropbox desktop application, then nothing will happen to the files in the Dropbox folder, meaning it doesn't automatically delete.

If you sign in to the same account again, and the Dropbox folder exists with the same files, the app will check for any updates and sync any new or edited files. Depending on your settings, it will either make them available offline, or just add new placeholders if new files were added on the site.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?