cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Urgent need to restore the Desktop version from last night after accidental deletion

Urgent: need to restore the Desktop version from last night after accidental deletion.

BillyLonsbem
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everyone,

Today, I accidentally deleted the "Desktop" folder that was synchronized with Dropbox. This folder contained very important files, and I had reached my storage limit on Dropbox, which makes me worry that some files may not have been properly synchronized before the deletion.

I would like to revert to the version of my Desktop from last night, before the deletion occurred. Does Dropbox keep a copy of files or an earlier version on its server even after reaching the storage limit? And if so, how can I restore these files?

Please note that the deletion of the folder also emptied the files in my Recycle Bin, which was located on my Desktop. I understand that this was due to the location of the Recycle Bin, which led to the loss of these files along with the rest.

I have also checked the event history and deleted files in Dropbox. However, the restored versions of the folders were empty. I wonder if there is any way to recover the files, even though I don't have access to Dropbox Rewind. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated as this is a critical situation for me.

Thank you in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

@BillyLonsbem wrote:

I would like to revert to the version of my Desktop from last night, before the deletion occurred. Does Dropbox keep a copy of files or an earlier version on its server even after reaching the storage limit? And if so, how can I restore these files?

You can restore an earlier version but it will only be of files uploaded BEFORE you reached your quota. Files are NOT uploaded or changed once you are at quota. There is no way, at all, to restore these now via Dropbox: https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders

If, as you said, you have already checked and the locations have no restore available then none were uploaded and so nothing is recoverable via here on Dropbox.

Sorry 😞 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

@BillyLonsbem wrote:

You can restore an earlier version but it will only be of files uploaded BEFORE you reached your quota. Files are NOT uploaded or changed once you are at quota. There is no way, at all, to restore these now via Dropbox: https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-deleted-files-folders

If, as you said, you have already checked and the locations have no restore available then none were uploaded and so nothing is recoverable via here on Dropbox.

Sorry 😞 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BillyLonsbem
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your quick response and assistance. I have a better understanding of the situation now, even though it's a bit frustrating.

It's indeed strange that the folders were modified while the files weren't. I had deleted some files to free up space, which brought me back below my quota. However, it's possible that the synchronization of these changes didn't happen before I accidentally deleted the folder. This could explain why the folders were modified, but the files weren't properly restored.

Thanks again for your support and insights.

Best regards

Mark
Super User II

@BillyLonsbem wrote:

Hi Mark,

It's indeed strange that the folders were modified while the files weren't.

I can explain this bit... folders dont use up quota as they are 0 byes in size and so, will usually still sync and update EVEN if the files in them don't. 

BillyLonsbem
Explorer | Level 4

That makes sense... What a shame ðŸ˜¥

Thank you.

Need more support?