cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to edit a shared file with Excel Online

Unable to edit a shared file with Excel Online

pb59
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I shared an Excel file with someone and until last week, he could edit this file with Excel Online without problems. But for a few days, this option is no longer visible.

I checked the file, and he is still a member and have the rights to edit the file.

There seems to be a bug with dropbox itself, see for yourself : I tried to reproduce the error and I searched within my personal files in the menu "Shared" -> "Links" (by the way, the links listed are not shared files... but anyway...).I found 1 Excel file which have the same problem :

- when I click on the three dots on the right, I don't have the menu "open with..."

- when I click on the name of the file, it opens on a new tab, directly in Dropbox, and I don't have the menu "open with"

- when I am in this new tab, on the file, when I click on the arrow next to the blue button "Share", the submenu of this button loads, but there is also new options that load, and here appears my "open with" menu !

So in my opinion, there is a bug with the app. This is clearly not the expected behavior.

The only problem in the meantime is that the person to whom I shared the file with doesn't have the blue button "Share", and I didn't find any other button to trigger the loading of the menu...

What do you think ? Did anyone have the same problem ? Have you found a way to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hi there everybody,

This issue should be fixed!

If you're still having trouble, please let us know.

Thank you,

Sam 

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

acmq
Helpful | Level 5

Yes! I have the same problem. I cannot find a way to fix it. Following.

tecustis
New member | Level 2

Experiencing the EXACT same problem.  It started about 1.5 weeks ago.  

Anna881
Explorer | Level 4

I cannot edit exe-file anymore. Everything used to work just fine a week ago, but now when I open the file, the front page isn't suddenly looking an exec-page anymore. Also option "edit" is light grey and I cannot click it. 

I have been invited to edit the file and my permissions have been checked. In my opinion nothing has changed during the week. Can anyone help me?

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

Just a quick heads-up that our team is aware of the issue and currently looking into it. We'll keep you posted with any updates here.

Thanks,

Sam

Mark
Super User II

For info all: https://status.dropbox.com/incidents/1h4ky1glpxfq

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

pb59
Helpful | Level 5

I followed the same steps as before to see if the problem was resolved, but I had the same behavior. So the issue is still here for me.

Anna881
Explorer | Level 4

For me too, nothing has changed yet. 

acmq
Helpful | Level 5

For me the issues is also still there.

Sam DBX
Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

We identified yesterday that this issue is separate from the one on the status page. Good news is that our team is aware of it and working on a fix.

We'll share more updates shortly.

Thanks,

Sam

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Minna96 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?