cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is an unlinked Dropbox on Mac Sonoma 14.5

This is an unlinked Dropbox on Mac Sonoma 14.5

Chiboko
New member | Level 2

I cannot access files stored in the dropbox location untill I copy an individual file and paste it elsewhere, how do I fix this whenever I also try to connect it says Your device couldn't connect to server. There might be a problem with the server or network

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Chiboko - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error you're getting so that we can have a visual too?

Did you reboot your computer, and/or quit and relaunch the app since you noticed this?

Keep us posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

James Burford
Explorer | Level 3
I have discovered the exact same issue today and it renders my iMac useless if I can’t use it for dropbox as I normally would. It was buggy today so I uninstalled it and reinstalled and after that all my files changed location, I had no dropbox options when I right clicked, I cant open my files or “view on dropbox.com” as there is “no connection to the server”, it’s a total mess.

But my macbook is fine?

Scared to touch anything at the risk of deleting files that can’t be retrieved

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @James Burford, let's jump right into this! 

Would you mind clarifying if you're using the same OS as the OP, and the Dropbox version you have installed there? 

Also, what is the app's current syncing status

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

James Burford
Explorer | Level 3

@Megan Hi. I have Sonoma 14.5 running and dropbox version 203.4.4857 which is "up to date". 

Current syncing status is "all files up to date"

James Burford
Explorer | Level 3

@Megan If it helps, it might be worth me saying that there are two locations where I can find all my files that i use for dropbox (This is Mac). 

1) Finder - Library - CloudStorage ... 

- When I try to access my files this way, Finder tells me that this is an unlinked dropbox, I can't open any files, and if I am to right click on my files I DO see the Dropbox options but if you click on any of them it tells you that there is an issue connecting to the server. 

2) Finder - User - "username" - Dropbox (personal)... (I also have another Dropbox folder here asI I am part of a team that uses dropbox) ...

- If I access my files this way, I can open them and everything works fine and things then seem to update when I log into dropbox on browser. However, when I right click, there are NO options for dropbox at all, so when I am finished working on the file I cannot "Make Online-Only" - so essentially I'll eventually use up all the space on my iMac

Hope this helps ? 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @James Burford, jumping in here as well, if you don't mind.

When you uninstalled the Dropbox app, did you also sign out of the app before doing so?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

James Burford
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah . My guess is that no - I wouldn't have signed out of the desktop app. I would have simply just uninstalled it. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, James.

Would you mind sending us a couple of screenshots of how your files appear in both of those locations, what you see when you right-click on files in both as well, so we can have a visual?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

James Burford
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-07-12 at 14.22.26.pngThis screenshot here is from the directory: Finder - Library - CloudStorage (as you can see)

This is where I can right click and see the dropbox options however clicking on any of those buttons gives the error screen "Your device couldn’t connect to the server. There may be a problem with the server or network."

If i make changes to these dropbox files on a different device, even though this is in the cloud storage folder, the changes do not appear here on this device. 

Please notice also at the top of the finder window "This is an unlinked dropbox". I have never seen this before until yesterday.

I will give you the other example in my next post 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dpdpdp Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    James Burford Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?