cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search results no longer show folder paths

Search results no longer show folder paths

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

When I search for a term (part of a filename), I get a list of results, but ever since the new UI overhaul (hate it btw excess clicking needed), the folder path doesn't show up underneath the filename hits.  I need to see the folder path to determine which one I want to browse.  I am not going to open multiple files to see if its the one I want and then go back and re-search.  ugh.  Seeing the folder path is a CRITICAL data point to select correct result.   If it was there, I will then click into the folder and browse deeper.  I may or may not want to look at the chosen file.  I mostly need to see the folder it was in.

4 Replies 4

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on the forum, @dbForumUser

Can you send me a screenshot of how this shows on your end, as a first step? 

I’d like to gather more details, and forward your feedback over to our team about how this affects your work. 

Give me a nudge, when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

Well I did some more experimenting and the failure was I guess in what you probably call the "suggested searches"searchresults.png

This is either a new behavior or the old behavior did allow me to hover on an output to see more detail.   Right now I see this "feature" as useless and unexpected and in the way.  just clutter.   get on with the real search.  

So then I see if I hit enter in the search box, I get additional info that looks somewhat familiar.  The file paths are visible at least. 

dbForumUser_0-1700079610389.png

But then as I scroll down to find the one I want, it is an infinite list.   A little more exploring and I see you are defaulting to "relevance".  I am pretty sure the default order used to be Last Modified.

So if I take the time (and more extra clicks) to change relevance to newest, relevance is 100% irrelevant.  The search is looking inside files to find the search term.  That should absolutely NOT be at the top of the list.

dbForumUser_2-1700080280422.png

I'm no expert on search algorithms and I do appreciate its a complex issue, but this is ridiculous.  I won't be able to search for anything.    I want NEWEST AND RELEVANCE TOGETHER!!!     

It  never used to be this difficult to search, but I can't precisely put my finger on how it used to work in this case because the old is gone.   When you adopt something new and drastic like this, you should allow revert to old style.   If nothing else, at least to compare and report better  bug reports.

I also think the filters are new.  Maybe they are contributing to the problem.  Not sure.  I've never needed to filter.  Search just always found what I wanted somehow.  

Disappointed....

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well and thanks for sharing your thoughts on this with us @dbForumUser 

I've logged your feedback in our system; you can let us know if you have anything else to add. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

I would just add that what I conclude is "suggested searches" is being labelled as "results".  That piece is an easy fix.  And then you should have Turn Off Suggested Searches button.  

I'm sure logging my "feedback" will get tons of results! (sarcasm)    Unless 1000+ people complain of the same thing, nothing will change.   Been there done that.  Such a shame.  

Thanks for responding.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dbForumUser Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?