cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search in browser dropbox: inside specific folder search is gone?

Search in browser dropbox: inside specific folder search is gone?

sachap
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Sorry if this has been asked before. Very recently, when I connect to my dropbox space in a browser (here chrome on windows), I could use a search that would target the current displayed folder. 

This search fiedl , specific to the current folder seems to have disappeared. A general search field is available that targets my whole dropbox. Not what I want!

What do I miss?

Thanks for any help.

Sacha P.

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi sachap@, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you in a specific folder when conducting a search on the website, or in the root parent folder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sachap
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thanks for asking for the details.

I am already in a specific folder and the only search field available (at the top of the displayed window) does not display the current folder as a default filter.

I just saw that under the results you can specify a folder filter, so I can now specify the current folder as a filter, but that is a new way of working. Having the current folder as default filter was way more comfortable (imha). But at least, I can search in a specific folder. It might not be a bug after all? Just a feature (that I would like to be reversed to previous way, but I guess a decision was made about this).

There seems to be a real problem though, with the folder filter: once positionned (at value folder1 for example), it stays there and if go to another folder (let's say folder2), the folder filter remains positionned on folder1 and if you think you are searching in folder2, well, nope, you have your search filtered on folder1 (and not obvious to spot).

So... It's not entirely satisfactory...

Sacha

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sachap, I'd love some screenshots too, in order for me to have the full visual of what you see on your end. 

If you could send me some, I'd appreciate that.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

sachap
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

Well well well, since monday, the very problem that I underlined has disapeared! And I'm sure it was there because I tested it quite thouroughly (I'm in IT and testing GUI is partof my job). 

Folder filter by default has returned in the search field. It's value always change to the current folder. So the original way is back.

The only thing I see as remaining a little disturbing is that when you change folder, the "folder filter" icon that appears right to the magnifying glass of the search field is not displayed with the folder name. The (adequate) folder name appears only when you click in the search field. 

See screen shots attached (01 is before clicking in the search field, 02 is after: the folder name appears, as it should have at step 01). I have put a red rectangle around the zone of interest.

SCREEN 01:

screen-01-png.png

SCREEN 02:

screen-02-png.png

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sacha

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi Sacha, thanks for the added info, much appreciated! 

Does this happen on a specific browser? Have you tried a different one? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    sachap Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?