cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ReSync after time machine restore, doesn't make any sense.

ReSync after time machine restore, doesn't make any sense.

Chris N.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is the scenario:

Dropbox is up to date, the local folder is identical to the remote folder. You perform a time machine backup, and restore to a new disk.

What happens is after restore Dropbox asks for user / pass as it was not installed and then starts resyncing all the thousands of files. What's the sense of this?? Shouldn't it just be aware that nothing has changed and live with that? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've missed a step between 5 and 6. Before it sync's it index's the files (THIS is what takes the time usually).

At this point, no, it will know that there is a difference in the data between what is on your machine and what is in the cloud. It will then download the 'newest' versions of the updated files as needed.

However, even if it doesnt you can still rollback the file online within 30 days - if for example something else also went wrong.... maybe for some unknown reason that file was also corrupted on your local machine before it went flying out of the window 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Chris N. wrote:

Shouldn't it just be aware that nothing has changed and live with that? 

No, it shouldn't, and you've just explained why.

What happens is after restore Dropbox asks for user / pass as it was not installed and then starts resyncing all the thousands of files.

Dropbox has a local database that it uses to keep track of all your files. When your files are indexed, this database gets populated. If you uninstall and resinstall Dropbox, or if this database otherwise becomes corrupted or deleted for whatever reason, Dropbox needs to index your files to rebuild the database.

Typically, a re-index is very quick when the database is already populated, as it's only comparing your files with what it already has indexed, but when that index doesn't exist, it takes more time to rebuild it.

Chris N.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, the DB should be there as it was just backupped to Time Machine

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Then either Time Machine didn't back it up properly, or it wasn't able to restore Dropbox in a working state. You yourself stated that Dropbox prompted you to connect to an account. If that's the case, then Dropbox didn't have all the needed files to work correctly, and initiated the re-connection. At this point, the database would be rebuilt.

Simply put, the problem here isn't with Dropbox, but with the process being used to backup/restore it. Dropbox is working as intended.

mikezter
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Your response doesn't make sense. I'm using Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner regularly, and regularly i have to re-sync my Dropbox-Library. Both tools apparently don't "back it up properly"?

Somehow all my other apps manage to store their state somwhere, and keep it after a restore. Only Dropbox "forgets" the stored credentials.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It isnt forgetting the stored credentials it is changing the files that have been changed - i.e. the locally created/modified data has changed, or, in the case of something like Excel where the last highlighted cell was.

The backup process also does not store the database correctly usually (for safety so that it couldnt be moved to another machine and used to 'clone' your account on to it without any safety credentials).

The other thing to remember is often different versions / installs of Dropbox require different versions of database so even if the restore goes well it needs to update the database to keep all safe.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mikezter
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks for the quick reply.
I think both (user and Dropbox) have their case. The worrying thing is this:
It is not entirely clear to the user what is actually happening to the files. Suppose this scenario:

1. Make a Backup of your Macbook using Time Machine or CCC
2. Go to work, edit/create things in your Dropbox
3. Come home, toddler has thrown your Macbook out the window
4. Restore to a new Macbook
5. Dropbox asks for credentials
6. After login, it says something like "Syncing 10.238 files..."

Question is: Will the newly linked Dropbox software undo the changes i did at the office (i.e. upload the restored stale files)?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.
Greetings, Mike

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You've missed a step between 5 and 6. Before it sync's it index's the files (THIS is what takes the time usually).

At this point, no, it will know that there is a difference in the data between what is on your machine and what is in the cloud. It will then download the 'newest' versions of the updated files as needed.

However, even if it doesnt you can still rollback the file online within 30 days - if for example something else also went wrong.... maybe for some unknown reason that file was also corrupted on your local machine before it went flying out of the window 🙂

mikezter
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok, thanks very much.

May i propose to make the difference between syncing and indexing clear in the client. I'm sure you're right and the client indexes first, but it shows "syncing x files". That is what made me nervous, because i surely didn't change 10k files and was not sure what the client is doing. 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reaching out on the Community, I’ll make sure to pass your comments up the ladder for future consideration!

If it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

Hope you have a great rest of the day! 

[This thread is now closed. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?