cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pop up Message

Pop up message asks if I want to move my file to "Deleted"

Robert511
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I have been using Dropbox to store my family trees for a number of years and within the last few weeks I have been receiving a constant 'pop up' which asks whether I want to move my file to '$Deleted' and explains that if I did it wouldn't be available in Dropbox or any other devices. I have ticked the box 'don't ask me again' but it doesn't stop the message appearing. Every time I make a slight change to the information the 'pop up' reappears and I'm concerned about losing all my work which I have taken 20 years to develop. Are you able to help?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our forum, @Robert511! Hope you’re well. 

Can you send me a screenshot of the pop-up message you mention? 

Also, I’d like you to give me a couple of examples of what updates/changes you’re making exactly, right before this message shows.

Give me a nudge, when you’ve got more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robert511
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Nancy, thanks for getting back so quickly. Attached is a copy of the pop up message. I collect my family history on a RootsMagic package and will add new people to the tree or add in new information from census, baptism, marriage records. I am constantly adding new information all the time. This pop up now appears every time I make a new entry. I do have an enormous amount of records on this package including photographs and I would hate to lose them. Hopefully, there is a way of stopping this pop up 🤞

best wishes

BobIMG_4222.jpeg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot, Bob! Are you, by any chance, dragging these files outside of the Dropbox folder at any given point? I’m asking because this would equal a deletion from your Dropbox account, which would explain the message you’re seeing.

Are you making these edits, while the files remain within the Dropbox app?

Also, if you have another type of file on your Dropbox account, I’d like you to try and edit it, and let me know if the same message appears.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Robert511
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Nancy,

when I update information on my RootsMagic package I do so using the keyboard. The only time I drag items in is when I’m adding photos and I haven’t done that since the pop up’s began. 
I do delete items from the trees but this is done by using the waste basket in RootsMagic and again using the keyboard. I open up the files from Dropbox and make changes and add information and then close the file in Dropbox. 
I also have a Microsoft money package on Dropbox and I did just edit it and the pop up didn’t appear.

It seems the problems are only occurring with the RootsMagic package and I don’t know why because I have been using this package, backed up in Dropbox, virtually everyday without any problems. These pop ups have just appeared over the last couple of weeks.

i did contact RootsMagic about the problem and they suggested the issue laid with Dropbox. I have had RootsMagic for over 10 years so this problem is very new.

I do appreciate you trying to resolve this for me

Bob

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Robert511, most likely, as you mentioned the file is very large, that your OS needs to delete and recreate it immediately, instead of just editing the file, which is why you're getting this message. 

Since the Dropbox app is only performing normally when it receives a command to delete, there isn't anything else we can suggest in this instance.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Robert511
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your help, I’ll have a go at doing what you suggest.

Best wishes

Bob

Need more support?