cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please confirm that deleting the Dropbox account will not remove photos from iPad or Phone.

Please confirm that deleting the Dropbox account will not remove photos from iPad or Phone.

RDU
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

I am working with a client who wishes to delete his dropbox account. It is currently storing copies of files from his laptop, and photographs from his iPad and mobile.

I have copied the files from the DropBox folder of his laptop to a folder on his C drive.

Please can someone definitively confirm that DropBox mobile simply creates a back-up of photos and does not remove them from the device. Please confirm that deleting and closing his DropBox account will have no impact on the photos stored on his phone. He has never deleted any photographs from his mobile that he wishes to keep so that is not an issue.

Every web search I have done confirms the above, but none of the information is direct from DropBox and the chat bot pre-programmed responses are not applicable.

Thanks

Tagging some staff that have given helpful answers recently in the hope that you will see this!

@Hannah 

@Walter 

Thank you

3 Replies 3

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @RDU ,

Thanks for reaching out to us. 

Is the customer the owner of the files in question ? 

If your customer is the owner of the files and want to delete files and folders from Dropbox  he can do it following this help link.

Also if he is not sure whether he is the owner of the files we advise him to check this link. 

If there are any further questions, please let us know.

RDU
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

I think you may have misunderstood my question. 

He will be deleting his Dropbox account entirely. He does not want to delete the files stored in Dropbox. He wants to remove Dropbox from all his systems, and break all connections to DropBox

He no longer wants any files stored or backed up from any device.

To this end, when he deletes his account what will happen to the photos that he has taken on his phone and never deleted from his phone.

Please confirm that DropBox simply creating a back-up of all of his photographs on his phone and nothing more. All his photographs will remain on his device stored locally when he deletes his account.

For absolute clarity, he is the owner of all the photographs that he has taken using the camera on his phone.

Rich
Super User II

@RDU wrote:

... when he deletes his account what will happen to the photos that he has taken on his phone and never deleted from his phone.

Nothing will happen. There's no link to the files stored in the camera roll/gallery on his mobile device and his Dropbox account. If he was using the automatic Camera Uploads feature, Dropbox was simply copying the photos and videos to his account. Deleting the files on Dropbox, or even deleting the entire account, will not affect the files on his phone.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    RDU Explorer | Level 4
    DBX_Pedro Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?