cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos are gone, files on Dropbox are empty

Photos are gone, files on Dropbox are empty

LindaH22
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

i have the dropbox basic abo. It is connected to my computer because of my pictures. I do a photobook on my computer. So now i wanted to add some new pictures to the book and 530 pictures are missing. they are gone. So i went on to a computer expert to see, why. He said, that my dropbox maybe changed the pathway of the imge, so the photobook app cant find it anymore.

So i wanted to look out for these photos. I logged myself in on the webpage of dropbox and neerly all files are empty. But the file on the desktop is empty too. How can this happen and why?

My dropbox is full, i konow that. But where are the pictures? I have a file on the desktop with pictures i took of my dad. I uploaded them in November 23. The file is synchronized (there is a green button on it). But the file on my desktop is empty and the file on the dropbox website is empty... Why??? Where are these pictures.

I just want to find and download them back to the computer, because i want to delet the dropbox. thats what the expert told me to do. But I have nothing to download. 

11 Replies 11

Mark
Super User II

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing? Note if your account is full it wont sync. So any files you added OVER quota wont sync. 

Your files should be available if you click on the Dropbox icon and then the folder icon. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

LindaH22
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Mark

thank you. the events showed that my dropbox is full since 2021. I know that. I dont care if not everything is synct. But some files are empty on the dropbox AND on my computer desktop. How can that happen? Does Dropbox delet things for more space? can I solve that problem with more space?

Thanks Linda

Mark
Super User II

So yes, Dropbox will delete things if you are over quota as per its T&C's: https://help.dropbox.com/storage-space/over-quota

Can you do a search for file names on your computer to see if they are there? 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @LindaH22,

I wanted to check in on whether or not you were still having trouble with your files. I had our engineering team look into it, and you should be able to restore any deleted files on your account as long as you have the space. If you're over your storage quota, you can do this by upgrading to a plan with sufficient storage and restoring your deleted files.

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

Thanks,

Ben

LindaH22
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Ben

so I do an upgrade and then? How do I get my files back? How can I restore them?

LindaH22
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Mark

no, they are not there at all. I couldnt find them.

Rich
Super User II

@LindaH22 wrote:

How do I get my files back? How can I restore them?

LindaH22
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. I upgraded my dropbox. I could restore the deleted pictures. But still most files are empty. I still have  at least 6 folders that are empty on the dropbox and on the computer and if i try to restore them, it is still not possible. I feel helpless and betrayed... I just paied 120.- euros and nothing changed!!!!!!!!

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @LindaH22,

Thanks for following up. Would you mind if we reached out via email to investigate further?

Ben

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    LindaH22 Explorer | Level 3
    BenDBX Community Manager
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?