cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My files are permanently deleted, what can I do?

My files are permanently deleted, what can I do?

YS1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

one of my dropbox linked computers got infected by Ransomware.
on that PC, 
only ONE folder is synchronized with the cloud ("selective sync").
it was a small folder, not a big issue.

but, and i dont know how, ALL of my cloud (over 300GB) was deleted.
not encrypted, deleted. 

the Chat-Support say that my files are "permanently deleted".

How?

"Show deleted files" = Nothing. empty at all.
"Events" = Nothing. empty at all.

like is no log for the deletion/action at all.

all my web cloud is empty like new.
even there is a "Example Docs" folder.

how it can be?
how there is no evidence for the deleted files?

i need help. really.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @YS1,

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have permanently deleted all of your files from your Dropbox account then they would be unrecoverable from our end. As permanent deletions can only be done through the website, it seems highly unlikely that this occurred due to ransomware as this would only affect your local computer and its files. To actually permanently delete files, you would need to first deleted them from your account and then navigate to the Deleted files page online and choose to permanently delete the files from there.

When permanently deleting a file from your account, the file is purged from our servers so it is expected to not be able to see these events via your Deleted files or Events page, as there is no longer a record of them on our servers. If the files were simply deleted then they would show up in both locations. 

However, that being said, is it possible that you have signed into a different account via the web? You can check the email address of the account you are currently signed into from your Settings page here

Also, do you perhaps have another computer that is connected to your Dropbox account that has all the files synced locally? If so, I would recommend to unlink this account from your Security page online before turning on that computer. Unlinking the device will stop it connecting to your Dropbox account and then syncing the deletion of the files, this way you can recover the files from the Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @YS1,

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have permanently deleted all of your files from your Dropbox account then they would be unrecoverable from our end. As permanent deletions can only be done through the website, it seems highly unlikely that this occurred due to ransomware as this would only affect your local computer and its files. To actually permanently delete files, you would need to first deleted them from your account and then navigate to the Deleted files page online and choose to permanently delete the files from there.

When permanently deleting a file from your account, the file is purged from our servers so it is expected to not be able to see these events via your Deleted files or Events page, as there is no longer a record of them on our servers. If the files were simply deleted then they would show up in both locations. 

However, that being said, is it possible that you have signed into a different account via the web? You can check the email address of the account you are currently signed into from your Settings page here

Also, do you perhaps have another computer that is connected to your Dropbox account that has all the files synced locally? If so, I would recommend to unlink this account from your Security page online before turning on that computer. Unlinking the device will stop it connecting to your Dropbox account and then syncing the deletion of the files, this way you can recover the files from the Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps to clarify the matter, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dcraig
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had a similar experience of a hacker gaining access to my account and deleting a large number of critical files.

I'm absolutely baffled that Dropbox regards this as a non-event with respect to account activity. I understand that once the files are permanently removed they can't be referred to, but that doesn't prevent there being some audit trail of the activity! Simple saying "10,723 files were permanently deleted on Aug-07-2019" would be immensely useful in determining when and what happened.

An EVEN BETTER FEATURE would be to require re-authentication (or have a setting to optionally require such) whenever files are permanently deleted. That would be real security for customers.

Needless to say, I'm currently researching alternatives to Dropbox now that might better protect my files. I've always been happy with with Dropbox, but this has really shaken me. I thought there being no trail of 10K files being deleted was a sneaky hack; I had no idea it was a Dropbox "feature."

P.S. I was able to recover many files from an offline machine's Dropbox cache (they'd already been "removed" from their folder) but this was far from an ideal recovery given that the folder structure doesn't exist and filenames have been changed by the system.

Doc79602
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

does dropbox take over files on computer... I can not access any of my ITunes library now... I accidently got into Dropbox and hit wrong command on set up and Dropbox appears to have linked a lot of files... and I don't understand how to use or get access.  when I go to Itunes it says " The " name of song " cant be used because the original file can't be found".

Can I safely unistall this terrible software and get my original files on my hard drive back to what they were before I tried to use DropBox.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Doc79602; thanks for joining our Community!

It looks like you've enabled the computer backup feature upon installing our desktop app on your device. 

Could you have a look at the relevant Help Center article and let us know if it helps improve matters for you? 

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Doc79602 Explorer | Level 3
    dcraig New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?