cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My account has been converted to a new account with nothing in it

My account has been converted to a new account with nothing in it

janejanejo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My windows computer did an update and restarted last Friday and at that time dropbox was asking me to sign in.  When I signed in all my files are gone.  It is like a new account.  I had just synced a file on Thursday and now it is gone.  How do I get this file back.  I desperately need it.  I thought maybe I had used the wrong email but the other email that I would have used doesn't seem to be an account with dropbox.  So I have the correct email address for the account.   I can't seem to get any help from dropbox.  This is unbelievable!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

janejanejo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I went back and looked at Events and I can only see these entries now.  Although I swear I saw a account created line as well before.  Anyways, I kept looking on my computer and I eventually found two directories under c:\Users\Janes-Laptop.  One was Dropbox and Dropbox (old).  Both with the August 10th datestamp.  There was nothing in the Dropbox directory but all my files where in the Dropbox (old) directory.  Thank God!  So for some reason when windows did the update and rebooted and then I had to log into Dropbox again, it created a new dropbox directory instead of using the current directory.  I am just glad that I found my files.  Maybe this will be useful for others.

DU
The computer Jane-Laptop was linked to your account
10/8/2024 9:44 AM
JJ
You added the app Dropbox

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@janejanejo wrote:

... dropbox was asking me to sign in.  When I signed in all my files are gone.  It is like a new account.

Look at your Events page. If you don't see any activity, then you're signed in to a new, empty account, and you likely have another account under a different email address. If that's the case, look through your emails for messages from Dropbox and you'll likely find the correct account.

janejanejo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I actually have an email on July 2, 2024 saying that there was a new sign in on a different browser.  This is to the same email address that I am currently signed in to dropbox with.  In the events tab it only shows a new account being created on August 10th which was after my windows update and dropbox wanted me to sign in again.  I am using the same email address.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @janejanejo, could you clarify what you mean by the message in the events tab, since there shouldn't be one that states that an account was created.

Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're seeing, while hiding any email addresses?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

janejanejo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I went back and looked at Events and I can only see these entries now.  Although I swear I saw a account created line as well before.  Anyways, I kept looking on my computer and I eventually found two directories under c:\Users\Janes-Laptop.  One was Dropbox and Dropbox (old).  Both with the August 10th datestamp.  There was nothing in the Dropbox directory but all my files where in the Dropbox (old) directory.  Thank God!  So for some reason when windows did the update and rebooted and then I had to log into Dropbox again, it created a new dropbox directory instead of using the current directory.  I am just glad that I found my files.  Maybe this will be useful for others.

DU
The computer Jane-Laptop was linked to your account
JJ
You added the app Dropbox
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

janejanejo New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II