cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving files from Dropbox back onto PC

Moving files from Dropbox back onto PC

mmday97
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone. I wish there was a phone number to call for this but oh well. So my issue is, is that many files that were associated with my Student DropBox account became inaccessible on my PC. I downloaded all the files that are stored on my account (resulting in copies of the original files) and the moved the files from the Dropbox folder on my PC to their original places on my PC (in My Documents). The files that I moved from Dropbox back to My Documents are able to be opened now. However, the "original" files that were on the PC still cannot be opened. I wanted to get all the files from Dropbox back onto my computer, and then delete my account. After moving all the files from the Dropbox folder on my PC to My Documents under "This PC", am I okay to delete Dropbox, or is there more I need to do? Screenshots attached for clarity.

Screenshot (8).png

Here is a screenshot of the Dropbox folder.

Screenshot (12).png

Here are the original files under "My Documents". The other "My Documents" folder is what I downloaded from Dropbox. The original files have Xs on them and they can't be opened.

Screenshot (13).png

Here are the folders and files I moved from the Dropbox folder to "My Documents". These ones are available. Should I delete the original files that are now inaccessible?

11 Replies 11

mmday97
Explorer | Level 3

I'm currently moving everything from the other Backup to My Documents, but I'm getting this error message for certain files??

Screenshot (22).png

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot @mmday97 - much appreciated.

If you manually navigate to the folder's path, can you find it locally on your computer? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    mmday97 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?